*In light of the George Zimmerman not-guilty verdict on Saturday, many journalists of color are pleading with the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) to cancel their convention that’s schedule to take place in two weeks in Florida.
After the legendary Stevie Wonder announced that he will not play in Florida until the “Stand Your Ground” law is abolished, some in the organization want to follow suit. Several of NABJ’s members took to social media to encourage their organization to cancel the plans on their convention, which is scheduled for July 31 through Aug. 4 in Orlando.
NABJ President Gregory H. Lee Jr. told Richard Prince’s Journal-isms column on Monday that pulling the plug on the convention this close would be impractical and costly and fail to take advantage of a “unique opportunity” for black journalists.
“If NABJ decided to pull out of the convention in Orlando, it would cost the association over $1 million when you consider the hotel would revert back to the original terms of the contract signed in December 2006,” Lee told Journal-isms via email. “This would include the 4399 room nights we reserved at least at the $220 rate plus at least half of the food and beverage guarantees NABJ signed in the agreement. It would be impractical for NABJ to move out of the state with the other commitments we have to stage an event with our sponsors and more importantly the expenses already incurred by the membership to attend the convention.”
To read more on this story go to Always A List.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Starz Programming Shift Moves ‘Power’, 'Survivor's Remorse' to Sunday Nights
- Tyler Perry on Singing ‘Play That Funky Music’ With Prince (Watch)
- Jay Z Responds to ‘Lemonade’, Shouts Out Prince On ‘All The Way Up’ Remix
- Dog Hours Away from Euthanasia, Saved By Student Vet's Discovery
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here