As EUR and other outlets reported, some well-known performers are named on a purported list of musicians boycotting the state of Florida in the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict, but on Tuesday their representatives said their clients had no knowledge of the list.
The list was first reported by April Ryan, an American Urban Radio Networks White House correspondent. Some of the names on the list are heavyweights like Justin Timberlake, Jay Z, Kanye West, Alicia Keys and Madonna and its origin was credited to “sources close to the Stevie Wonder camp.”
The Huffington Post linked to Ryan’s list and noted at the time that representatives for artists were being contacted. The site later revealed that Rihanna was not involved, despite being named and Mother Jones reported that the Rolling Stones, also on the list, had never heard of the boycott campaign.
The Huffington Post was also contacted by additional representatives stating that their clients were not involved but didn’t identify their name on the record. More denials of involvement with the list began to surface and on Tuesday, Ryan made a post on her website saying that representatives of artists named “are uncomfortable being identified on that list.”
A similar list had been posted on Instagram and Facebook in advance of Ryan’s posting.
During a phone conversation Tuesday afternoon, Ryan told the Huffington Post that the list came from “very credible sources” who had given her accurate information in the past and were “in support of Stevie.” She said that she received the list via text message “in the middle of the night.” Ryan also claims that she did not see any of the other posts made in advance of publishing the list or her update.
Here’s Ryan’s full statement:
“I obtained from multiple sources early Monday a list of artists and entertainers who my sources told me had committed to a boycott of Florida following the George Zimmerman acquittal. Since publishing that list I have heard from several representatives of the artists named who say, on behalf of their clients, they are uncomfortable being identified on that list and are seeking additional information.”
In other words, you can blame this mess on one April Ryan.
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers on the ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ of Andre Lyon
- Ratings Plummet in Return of Halle Berry’s ‘Extant’
- L.A. District Attorney (Jackie Lacey) Silent on Pressing Charges Against CHP Officer in Video Beating
- Marisa Tomei Joins 'Empire' as Recurring Character
- Prince Yanks His Music From Every Streaming Service Except Tidal
- Bobbi Kristina: Grave Being Prepared; Alleged Former Drug Dealer Dies of Overdose
- Chris Brown Files Paternity Papers to Thwart Baby Mama's Support Demands
- Rihanna Drops 'BBHMM' Video; Kidnaps Fans for Tidal Launch (Watch)
- Economy Adds 223K Jobs; Black Unemployment Down Slightly
- Don Lemon to Donald Trump: 'Did You Have to Say They Were Rapists?' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here