*Earlier we reported that NBA star Dwyane Wade had finally settled his divorce after six years of court proceedings.
On Monday, Judge John Thomas Carr decided the settlement, which includes a “non-disparage” agreement prohibiting either one of them from making any disparaging about the other, to be valid.
Funches-Wade also will receive the couples’ former mansion and four cars. Her lawyer, Brian Hurst, tried to argue that his client never agreed those terms. However Judge Carr ruled against him and deemed the divorce proceeding a closed case.
Wade’s attorney, James Pritikin, wants any violation of the terms to result in a fine. He said protection from disparaging remarks should also also extend to Wade’s family members, as well as his girlfriend, actress Gabrielle Union.
Outside the courtroom Monday, Funches-Wade expressed her displeasure with the decision. “My voice isn’t for sale, my story isn’t for sale, no thank you.”
Wade did not attend the hearing.
Funches-Wade, who on last Friday, sat outside the Daley Center with a cardboard sign that read: “NBA Miami Heat star, mother of his children on the streets,” has repeatedly said the three-time Miami Heat champion has not kept his obligation to pay $25,000 a month in spousal support. (See video of Funches-Wade on the street with cardboard sign, below.)
Pritikin dismissed the assertion and issued a written statement Monday afternoon:
“Dwyane Wade has made several requests over the years to settle this matter, despite Ms. Funches having 16 different attorneys and 2 arrests throughout this process. Mr. Wade has provided a very generous settlement to Ms. Funches to continue to live a wonderful lifestyle for the rest of her life. Despite false allegations by Ms. Funches claiming to be ‘homeless’ and ‘destitute,’ Dwyane Wade has maintained over the years financial support to his ex-wife by providing her with income over $25,000 on a monthly basis, timely paid for her home mortgage, maintenance and security at the house, 4 cars, insurance, taxes and all of her attorney fees throughout this process.
“Ms. Funches has made a mockery of homelessness which is a serious and personal issue for Mr. Wade as his mother was homeless for a period of time when he was a child. Dwyane Wade was awarded sole custody of their sons by the court in 2011,” the statement continued. “The safety and well-being of his children are his main priority. Due to Ms. Funches’ current unstable mental state, her visitation will be determined by the court. Mr. Wade continues to hope that one day he will have a civil relationship with his ex-wife for the sake of their sons.”
Attorney Hurst said he was not happy with the judge’s decision and planned to explore his client’s legal options.
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here