*Diahann Carroll is returning to Broadway for the first time in three decades to portray Denzel Washington’s mother in a revival of A Raisin In The Sun.
Washington, 58, signed on to portray disenchanted limousine driver Walter Lee Younger in a new version of Lorraine Hansberry’s play.
“Diahann Carroll is playing my mother. So this will be her first time back in 30 years… I’m excited,” he said during an appearance this morning on “Live with Kelly & Michael.”
Carroll, 78, last appeared on Broadway in a production of Agnes of God in 1983.
Previews for the revival of A Raisin in the Sun are due to begin in March 2014. Sidney Poitier originated the role of Younger in the original 1959 Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, and rap mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs took on the role in 2004. Both versions were turned into movies.
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Funeral Filled with Family, Music and Spirituality
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here