*Diahann Carroll is returning to Broadway for the first time in three decades to portray Denzel Washington’s mother in a revival of A Raisin In The Sun.
Washington, 58, signed on to portray disenchanted limousine driver Walter Lee Younger in a new version of Lorraine Hansberry’s play.
“Diahann Carroll is playing my mother. So this will be her first time back in 30 years… I’m excited,” he said during an appearance this morning on “Live with Kelly & Michael.”
Carroll, 78, last appeared on Broadway in a production of Agnes of God in 1983.
Previews for the revival of A Raisin in the Sun are due to begin in March 2014. Sidney Poitier originated the role of Younger in the original 1959 Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, and rap mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs took on the role in 2004. Both versions were turned into movies.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Tyrese Gibson Back as Robert Epps for ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here