*Diahann Carroll is returning to Broadway for the first time in three decades to portray Denzel Washington’s mother in a revival of A Raisin In The Sun.
Washington, 58, signed on to portray disenchanted limousine driver Walter Lee Younger in a new version of Lorraine Hansberry’s play.
“Diahann Carroll is playing my mother. So this will be her first time back in 30 years… I’m excited,” he said during an appearance this morning on “Live with Kelly & Michael.”
Carroll, 78, last appeared on Broadway in a production of Agnes of God in 1983.
Previews for the revival of A Raisin in the Sun are due to begin in March 2014. Sidney Poitier originated the role of Younger in the original 1959 Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, and rap mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs took on the role in 2004. Both versions were turned into movies.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here