*Diahann Carroll is returning to Broadway for the first time in three decades to portray Denzel Washington’s mother in a revival of A Raisin In The Sun.
Washington, 58, signed on to portray disenchanted limousine driver Walter Lee Younger in a new version of Lorraine Hansberry’s play.
“Diahann Carroll is playing my mother. So this will be her first time back in 30 years… I’m excited,” he said during an appearance this morning on “Live with Kelly & Michael.”
Carroll, 78, last appeared on Broadway in a production of Agnes of God in 1983.
Previews for the revival of A Raisin in the Sun are due to begin in March 2014. Sidney Poitier originated the role of Younger in the original 1959 Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, and rap mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs took on the role in 2004. Both versions were turned into movies.
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- NAACP President Compares Bree Newsome to Rosa Parks
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here