*Award winning gospel music group Mary Mary posted via Twitter on Wednesday that their father had died.
The group’s father, Eddie A. Atkins Jr., 66, who was described as a community leader and youth minister, passed away from cancer on Tuesday.
“It’s really hard to deal with losing my dad,” said Campbell. “He was truly the strength of our family. And even though him and my mom were not together anymore… they stood hand-and-hand and they stood side-by-side to support their children.”
Campbell expressed that she was able to learn a lot from her father, especially his strength.
“He had a lot of health issues my entire life,” she followed up. “No matter what he went through, he was a fighter. That’s what I learned. He was super hilarious and super sarcastic. He never let life take him too low. He had his low moments, but he never let life take him too low. That’s what we learned. We learned to cope with the challenges and keep it moving—that’s why we keep singing, why we keep ministering, why we keep talking to people.”
Having such a positive and lasting impact on his daughters and family, Atkins gave Campbell many things to remember him by. “Even though my dad is gone, I have so much to hold on to,” she said. “That gives me comfort. He didn’t leave here without knowing his daughters loved him. He didn’t leave here not knowing that we cared and that we cherished him.”
In honor of Mr. Atkins (pictured below), the family held a musical celebration for him on Sunday and his funeral service will take place today, Tuesday, in Lynwood, CA.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- No Biggie. White House Shrugs off Recent N-word Controversy
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- THE (05-03-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Moya Angela: Dreamgirls' 'Effie' Speaks Exclusively to EURweb
- Aretha Franklin Covers 'Purple Rain' at International Jazz Day (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here