anthony weiner and wife
*(Via ABC News) – With his wife Huma Abedin by his side, New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner acknowledged today that he sent previously undisclosed explicit messages and inappropriate photos to a woman during summer of 2012, a year after he publicly resigned from Congress amid a scandal for similar behavior.

Abedin, who has been on the campaign trail with her husband, also spoke emotionally about the scandal today for the first time since Weiner resigned two years ago.

“Our marriage like many others has had its ups and its downs. It took a lot of work a whole lot of therapy to get to a place where I could forgive Anthony,” Abedin said. “It was not an easy choice in any way, but I made the decision that it was worth staying in this marriage.

“That was a decision I made for me, for our son and for our family,” she added. “So really what I want to say is, I love him, I forgive him, I believe in him and as we have sad from the beginning we are moving forward.”

The acknowledgment comes after new allegations Monday on gossip website “The Dirty” that Weiner sent sexually charged messages to women after he left Congress in disgrace.

Weiner today said said that the behavior was “entirely behind” him when he got into the mayoral race. He said “can’t say exactly” when he sent his last message to a woman who was not his wife, but it might have been “sometime last summer.”

Weiner first acknowledged in a statement today that some of the allegations in the “The Dirty” report were true and he confirmed in a press conference that the messages continued after he resigned from Congress.

For more of this story by Abby D. Phillip, go to ABC News.

Watch this ABC News report:


(If you don’t see the above video on your mobile device, click here.)