*Rev. Al Sharpton signed a book deal under the Cash Money imprint last month and has faced criticism including an unfavorable letter from a former associate.
His book “The Rejected Stone” follows Sharpton’s transition from personal evolution to New York street activist to political candidate, civil rights spokesman and television host. His choice to go through the Cash Money empire took most people by surprise given his open criticism of Cash Money affiliate Lil Wayne and his lyrics. Sharpton was seen meeting with PepsiCo and the late Emmett Till’s family when Wayne dished out offensive lyrics that referenced Till’s death.
Chef and former associate of Sharpton, Carl Redding, wrote an open letter to the Reverend that was later published on RapRehab.com. Redding suggested that Sharpton return the “blood money” he was paid for signing the book deal with Cash Money.
“As one who has spent years publicly crusading against the harmful effect of misogynistic lyrics on our young people, it’s clear that your decision to cut a lucrative financial deal with those who propagate such destructive images in our community, is the latest example of your failed leadership,” Redding wrote. “Dr. Martin Luther King, who you claim to emulate, is doing somersaults in his grave.”
Redding also goes on to point out the hypocrisy of the situation.
“Your decision to cooperate and do business with a record label that routinely calls black women outside of their name, is deeply problematic and begs the question: where is your commitment to the black community?”
Read the full letter at RapRehab.com. Sharpton’s “The Reject Stone” is due out on October 8.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2016 BET Awards See Spike in Viewership
- 4 Upgrades to Catch the Eye of Luxury Homebuyers
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Dogs Bark, Sharks Attack, And Alligators Eat People
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits 2016 Pt.2
- THE (06-28-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Experience Fan Fest-The Future of Neo-Soul and Rap (PHOTOS)
- 'Have and Have Nots' Tyler Lepley Talks Growth, Humility & More
- Shaq's Family Lands Reality Show - TV PD Blasts LeBron for Cussin'
- Woman who Loathed Gun Control, Shoots Two Daughters to Death
- Michael Jackson Called Prince 'One Of The Rudest People I Have Ever Met'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here