*Rapper and songwriter Drake was missing in action during this year’s taping of the “BET Awards,” for what he says were family matters.
Drake tied as the night’s top winner with Kendrick Lamar by earning trophies for Video of the Year, Best Collaboration and Coca-Cola Viewers’ Choice Award.
In his absence talk began to circulate that Drake wasn’t there because of his ongoing issues with fellow artist Chris Brown. Rumor has it that Brown performing with Drake’s YMCMB label mate Nicki Minaj during his opening performance, didn’t sit too well with Drizzy.
Drake reached out to BET to set matters straight.
In a statement Drizzy explained, “The BET Awards are always a good time and I’m sorry I could not be there to celebrate,” he said. “I’m in Toronto due to a family matter but I have a lot of gratitude for BET and the fans.”
He added that his main is finishing his next album and how his wins pushed him to keep going. “Getting 12 nominations and winning three awards just makes me want to work that much harder. I’ll be in the studio finishing Nothing Was the Same — I look forward to bringing it to the fans on Would You Like a Tour in September.”
BTW, Drake’s third studio album is slated for a Sept. 17 release.
- Sophie Okonedo to Star in New BBC America Series ‘Undercover’
- Evan Ross, Ashlee Simpson Welcome Baby Girl
- Missy Elliott Reportedly Joins ‘The Voice’ Season 9 as a Mentor
- Dylann Roof Enters 33 ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas in Federal Court
- Unauthorized Beyoncé Bio to Reveal Inside Deets on 'SolangeGate'
- 'Peanuts' Celebrates its First African American Character, Franklin
- Kevin Hart Talks Homophobia & Race with Rolling Stone
- White House Petitioned to Extradite Dentist that Killed 'Cecil the Lion'
- Ciara Takes 'Presidential' Route on Janet Tribute, Mom and Men
- Sad: William ‘Refrigerator’ Perry Auctioning Off Super Bowl Ring
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here