*Rapper and songwriter Drake was missing in action during this year’s taping of the “BET Awards,” for what he says were family matters.
Drake tied as the night’s top winner with Kendrick Lamar by earning trophies for Video of the Year, Best Collaboration and Coca-Cola Viewers’ Choice Award.
In his absence talk began to circulate that Drake wasn’t there because of his ongoing issues with fellow artist Chris Brown. Rumor has it that Brown performing with Drake’s YMCMB label mate Nicki Minaj during his opening performance, didn’t sit too well with Drizzy.
Drake reached out to BET to set matters straight.
In a statement Drizzy explained, “The BET Awards are always a good time and I’m sorry I could not be there to celebrate,” he said. “I’m in Toronto due to a family matter but I have a lot of gratitude for BET and the fans.”
He added that his main is finishing his next album and how his wins pushed him to keep going. “Getting 12 nominations and winning three awards just makes me want to work that much harder. I’ll be in the studio finishing Nothing Was the Same — I look forward to bringing it to the fans on Would You Like a Tour in September.”
BTW, Drake’s third studio album is slated for a Sept. 17 release.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here