*The family that George Zimmerman saved from an overturned vehicle earlier this week insists that, while they are thankful to the man recently acquitted by a Florida court for the murder of Trayvon Martin, they are terrified of being publicly associated with him.
Today, a spokesperson for Zimmerman attorney Mark O’Mara confirmed that the family will cancel a planned news conference saying that “They don’t want to be associated with George.”
“Mark and Dana Michelle Gerstle told friends and neighbors that though they’re thankful Mr. Zimmerman helped them, they do not want to talk publicly about him for fear they will be accused of portraying him as a hero,” reads a Tuesday report in The Daily Mail.
“They are very grateful to Zimmerman for what he did, but they do not want to get involved,” an anonymous friend of that family told the Mail. “There is so much hatred directed towards him they have got to think about their own family. There are a lot of crazies out there. If they say anything in support of him it could backfire.”
On Wednesday, WESH-TV Florida reporter Bob Kealing confirmed that the family will not appear in public to discuss the event, in spite of police and press requests that the family explain what happened when Zimmerman allegedly saved them from a car wreck.
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here