*Former Miami Heat star Tim Hardaway joined the fight for equal marriage rights.
Hardaway, of all people, became the first person to sign a petition to get an equal marriage constitutional amendment on Florida’s ballot.
“If you’re married you’re married – you should see your significant other in the hospital, make choices for your significant other if you need to make those choices,” Hardaway said Wednesday night as he showed his support for the effort that would legalize gay marriage in Florida.
The former NBA star gave his signature to a petition from Equal Marriage Florida during an event at Scully’s Tavern in Kendall. (Scroll down to watch.)
The petition rallies for signatures in hopes of getting the state constution amended to define marriage in Florida as a “union of two persons,” instead of between one man and one woman.
A constitutional amendment was approved in Florida back in 2008 which banned same-sex marriages.
This was a complete 180 for Hardaway and his views on marriage since a 2007 radio interview.
“I hate gay people. So I let it be known. I don’t like gay people. I don’t like to be around gay people. I’m homophobic,” he said then.
Wednesday he said his previous statements were “truly, truly wrong.”
Hardaway said his change of tune came from being sat down and talked to by gay cousins and relatives of his.
“It was very, very, very heartfelt from them,” he said.
Go to NBC Miami to read more.
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here