*The rumors have been circulating as to who will be cast as the next James Bond and the “Pacific Rim” star Idris Elba’s name has been thrown in the ring.
Digital Spy caught up with Elba and asked him about the Bond rumors. Although flattered, Idris seems to have adapted a kind of “take it or leave” position on the matter.
“It’s not something that I actually hope to come to fruition. It would be lovely if it did, but it’s a rumor.” He continued: “It’s actually like the will of a nation type-thing. I’m not a champion of myself to be James Bond, but there are so many people who say, ‘Hey, you’d be a great one. We’d love to see that’. That’s a great feeling for me. That’s such a national treasure for us in England, we love James Bond. To be considered as one of those actors who could play him is great.”
This isn’t the first time a black actor was rumored to play the role of Bond. Before Elba there was reported that Colin Salmon who up for the role but his connection with the series, having co-starred as MI6 agent Robinson in “Tomorrow Never Dies,” “The World is Not Enough” and “Die Another Day,” took him out of the running rather than his ethnicity.
Elba was similarly gracious but not especially eager when asked recently about rumors that he might play another notable British icon, Doctor Who, telling the audience in a ‘Luther’ Q&A that he’d “look silly in a bow tie.”
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Funeral Filled with Family, Music and Spirituality
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here