Accordxing to the poll, almost 13 percent (12.9) of NBA fans said James was their favorite player this season. That means he topped Kobe Bryant (12.5) for the first time since the 2008-09 season, which was the only other season when James Bryant, the top pick by fans for five of six years from 2006-07 to 2011-12.
Sorry Kobe, but as we all know, all good things eventually come to an end.
After “The Decision,” James’ approval rating slipped drastically. For his final season in Cleveland, 15.6 percent of fans called him their favorite, according to the ESPN Sports Poll taken after the 2009-10 season. But for his first two years with the Heat, James was called fans’ favorite player by 10.2 and 9.4 percent, respectively.
But James became easier to love, thanks in part to his play on the court, which led to two titles and two Finals MVP awards. While casual fans of the league still didn’t like him as much as they did at the height of his Cleveland days, the most recent ESPN Sports Poll shows that more avid NBA fans (18.9 percent) call James their favorite today than at any other point in his career.
The numbers show that James separated himself from Bryant thanks to greater support of the African-American population. Twenty-four percent of African-Americans said James was their favorite player this season compared to only 16 percent mentioning Bryant. James also skewed younger, as 18 percent of kids 12-17 said they preferred him while only 15 percent preferred Bryant.
Rounding out the top five are Kevin Durant (3.6 percent), Derrick Rose (2.8) and Dwyane Wade (2.6).
The ESPN Sports Poll – by the way – is conducted via telephone 350 days per year among a random national sample of Americans age 12 and older, including landline and cell phone-only respondents, and English and Spanish language interviews. Sports Poll has interviewed more than 400,000 Americans since 1994. In this study, 6,221 interviews were included from the first day of the NBA regular season through the last day of the NBA Finals.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Jay Z's Tidal Selects #BlackLivesMatter for $1.5M Donation
- EUR Exclusive 'Hit the Floor Clip: Funny/Sexy Tension in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- New 'Ghostbusters' Character Images Revealed
- Kerry Washington Talks Pressures Black Women Face
- Cam Newton Stars in New Beats by Dre Ad Featuring Future (WATCH)
- Bronx is Latest Location for NYC 'Subway Slasher' (Lone Suspect is Red Haired Brotha')
- L.A. Reid Confesses to Wendy He Failed Whitney Houston (WATCH)
- NFL Great Jerry Rice is Driving for Lyft in San Francisco (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here