*Lupe Fiasco is an artist known for speaking his mind both on and off the stage.
Recently the rapper had some very candid and unfiltered words for a group of Chicago high school grads assembled by Mass Black Male Graduation and Transition to Manhood organizers.
“Congratulations, you have graduated from one of the most terrible, substandard school systems in the entire world. You have just spent the last…12 years receiving one of the worst educations on earth. You are at least four, five steps behind people in other countries that are younger than you,” Fiasco said according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
Fiasco was asked to serve as the keynote speaker at the event, which included 150 recent black male graduates.
Recent studies show that only 39 percent of eligible black teens from the district’s pubic schools graduate.
Fiasco’s remarks resonated well as he is a Chicago native and product of the public school system there himself. He closed out his speech with some personal thoughts on the issue of manhood.
“Transition to manhood is the most important thing that’s going on right now. The caps and the gowns and your tassels and your honorary blah blah blahs don’t mean nothing. That’s just dress. That’s just some clothes. Meaningless clothes, too, because they have no real purpose in life. They don’t keep you warm. What do they do? They just represent to someone else that you’ve achieved something. But then when you look back at it, what have you achieved?”
Fiasco has become one of the most out spoken artists of this generation as of late, offering up left-wing political views and social commentary.
He has made his dislike for President Barack Obama very clear; having performed a 30-minute anti-war song this January in Washington, D. C., where he bashed the commander in chief. Fiasco was ushered off in the middle of his performance.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Vivica A. Fox Wants an 'Empire' Spinoff Based on Candace
- Report: Tom Joyner Being Forced Out of Own Radio Show; Russ Parr to Take Over
- 50 Cent Sitcom ‘My Friend 50’ Headed to Fox
- The Best of Black Twitter’s #PopeBars
- Mom of Ronald Johnson Wants Dashcam Video of Son's Killing Released (VIdeo)
- 'L&HHH's' Milan Christopher Denies Dating ‘Empire’s’ Jussie Smollett
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Business Owners Combine To Launch Innovative Approach to 'Buy Black' Movement
- 2 Chainz’s #IsThisYoThot? Lawsuit Thrown Out by Judge
- Daniel ‘Boobie’ Gibson Reacts to Keyshia Cole’s Engagement Tweet (Pic)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here