*The Weinstein Co. will make another bid today to secure the title “The Butler” for its upcoming Lee Daniels-directed movie, as it takes its case to an appeal hearing of the MPAA’s Title Registration Bureau.
The appeal is scheduled for 10 a.m. July 19 at the MPAA’s offices in Sherman Oaks, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In its original ruling July 2, the TRB ruled against The Weinstein Co., finding it had no right under TRB rules to use the title, which also belongs to a 1916 short film that is now part of the Warner Bros. library.
TWC was told to stop promoting the movie, which opens Aug. 16, under the title “The Butler” or face fines of $25,000 a day.
Although TRB also ruled TWC could not use the word “butler” in any alternative title, TWC had earlier registered “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” as an alternative title, setting the stage for a possible solution to the standoff. Behind the scenes, according to sources, Warners has proposed possible ways to resolve the issue to TWC, which has not yet responded to the proposals.
TWC has continued to use the title and enlisted attorney David Boies, who fired off letters to the MPAA and Warners threatening a restraining order and making an antitrust violation claim. A Warners attorney responded to Boies by accusing TWC of a “disturbing pattern and practice of flagrant [Title Registration Bureau] rules violations.”
The movie, starring Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey, is based on the life Eugene Allen, who served as a White House butler through eight administrations.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here