*Bluewater Productions, which publishes a series of comic books featuring female celebrities, says it is moving forward with a comic book centered around chef Paula Deen despite her racism scandal.
In October, the publisher will release the book Female Force: Paula Deen, a biography discussing her rise and fall from grace, Reuters reports.
“She really changed cooking – and Southern cooking – for women,” said Bluewater President Darren G. Davis, who added that the comic book had been in the works for several months before many of Deen’s business partners cut ties with her.
Davis said Bluewater, which has partnered with celebrities such as TV host Ellen DeGeneres and actor William Shatner, had reached out to Deen for a partnership several months earlier but the 66-year-old Southern food doyenne has not yet responded.
The partnership would involve the company donating money to a charity chosen by Deen and running ads for the charity on Deen’s behalf. Deen will not receive any money from the comic.
“We’re not jumping on the bandwagon,” Davis said about Deen’s business partners who distanced their brands from the celebrity chef.
“We’re moving forward with this ‘Female Force’ series because she fits in with women like Julia Child and Barbara Walters,” David added. “We’re not going to flambé her.”
The bulk of the comic book will be about the entrepreneur who turned a home-based catering business into a culinary empire. Printings of the comic books range from about 1,000 copies to 150,000, Davis said, but he didn’t yet know how many Paula Deen copies would go to print.
Deen’s multi-million dollar business of cookbooks, restaurants and home supplies began to crumble last month when a legal deposition was released in which Deen, who is white, said that she had used the “N-word” in the past. She lost about a dozen business deals after the deposition surfaced in court documents, including partnerships with retailers Target Corp and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here