*More than 10,000 people have signed a petition urging Florida officials to revoke the concealed carry permit of George Zimmerman, who was recently acquitted in the 2012 killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.
The petition, posted at Change.org, suggests that Zimmerman’s background makes him unfit to carry a concealed weapon.
George Zimmerman is a dangerous, violent person. He has been accused of assaulting three people in addition to killing Trayvon Martin. He has even been arrested for assaulting a police officer! George Zimmerman should NOT be licensed to carry a weapon. One innocent person has already died at his hands. It is your job to not let another person be in danger!
Zimmerman was arrested in 2005 for “resisting an officer with violence” and “battery of a law enforcement officer.” The charges were later reduced and ultimately dropped upon his entrance into an alcohol education program. Later that year, Zimmerman’s ex-fiancee sought a restraining order against him over alleged domestic violence. He later filed a counter claim for a restraining order of his own, and both were granted. And in the wake of Zimmerman’s 2012 arrest, allegations by a cousin emerged, claiming that he’d molested her for more than a decade.
Under Florida law, eligibility for a concealed weapons permit can be revoked if an individual has been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor crime of violence, domestic violence incident or certain alcohol or substance abuse offenses. Zimmerman has been found guilty of none of those.
After being found not guilty in the killing of Martin, it was reported that Zimmerman would get back the gun, a Kel Tec 9 pistol, that had been used in the shooting. Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, has suggested that his client will likely carry it again, saying that he now has “more reason” to after the trial.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Keke Wyatt's Emotional Cover of Prince’s ‘Diamonds and Pearls’ (Watch)
- Al Sharpton Rips Larry Wilmore’s ‘My N**ga’ Salute to Obama (Watch)
- Justin Lin in Talks to Direct Lebron James in 'Space Jam 2'
- New Daytime Talk Show ‘The Preachers’ to Get Summer Test Run (Video)
- Oprah Winfrey to Star in HBO Films' ‘Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’
- Kerry Washington Pregnant With Second Child
- Steve Harvey’s Twin Daughters to Co-Host ‘Twin Hour’ Episode (Clip)
- Jay Z, Blue Ivy Do the Kid-N-Play Dance at Beyonce’s Formation Tour (Watch)
- Helen Mirren Rocks Purple Dress and Prince Tattoo at WHCD (Pics)
- Man Who Claims He Owns Entire Prince Catalog Challenged by Estate
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here