*R&B singer Lester Chambers is recovering from injuries he suffered after a woman leaped onto the stage and shoved him when he dedicated a song to Trayvon Martin during a concert in the San Francisco Bay Area, a newspaper reported Monday.
Chambers — a member of the Chambers Brothers, best known for their 1968 hit “Time Has Come Today” — had a bruised rib muscle and nerve damage after he was attacked Saturday at the Hayward Russell City Blues Festival, family members told The San Jose Mercury News.
Chambers dedicated the Curtis Mayfield hit “People Get Ready” to the slain Florida teen, the newspaper reported.
Witnesses said 43-year-old Dinalynn Andrews Potter of Barstow yelled “it’s all your fault” before shoving 73-year-old Chambers.
“She must have been an acrobat,” Lola Chambers, Lester Chambers’ wife, told the Mercury News. “She did it in one leap. He didn’t see her coming.”
Andrews Potter was arrested on suspicion of battery, cited and released.
George Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, was found not guilty of second-degree murder in last year’s death of Martin, who was black. The jury had the option to consider manslaughter but declined to convict him of the lesser charge.
Chambers’ family wants police to file hate crime charges.
Below, at 4:19.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Chrissy Teigen’s Planned Parenthood Comments Spark Twitter Beef
- Kym Whitley: Inspiring Adoptive Parents While 'Building Memories' [EUR Exclusive]
- Must See! Tracee Ellis Ross Sings with Mom Diana in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- Watch: Mr. 'N*ggers Gotta Learn How to Read' Resigns Police Chief Gig (After Only One week!)
- NYC Cabbie: Roker Snub a ‘Misunderstanding’; Peele & Peretti Get Engaged
- Black Pastors Dispute Donald Trump’s Endorsement Claim for Meeting
- How the #BLM Movement Stays Alive & Effective Outside Spotlight
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here