*R&B singer Lester Chambers is recovering from injuries he suffered after a woman leaped onto the stage and shoved him when he dedicated a song to Trayvon Martin during a concert in the San Francisco Bay Area, a newspaper reported Monday.
Chambers — a member of the Chambers Brothers, best known for their 1968 hit “Time Has Come Today” — had a bruised rib muscle and nerve damage after he was attacked Saturday at the Hayward Russell City Blues Festival, family members told The San Jose Mercury News.
Chambers dedicated the Curtis Mayfield hit “People Get Ready” to the slain Florida teen, the newspaper reported.
Witnesses said 43-year-old Dinalynn Andrews Potter of Barstow yelled “it’s all your fault” before shoving 73-year-old Chambers.
“She must have been an acrobat,” Lola Chambers, Lester Chambers’ wife, told the Mercury News. “She did it in one leap. He didn’t see her coming.”
Andrews Potter was arrested on suspicion of battery, cited and released.
George Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, was found not guilty of second-degree murder in last year’s death of Martin, who was black. The jury had the option to consider manslaughter but declined to convict him of the lesser charge.
Chambers’ family wants police to file hate crime charges.
Below, at 4:19.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lionel Richie Trying to Get Oscar Attention for 'Tuskegee Airmen' Doc (Trailer)
- 50 Cent Files $75M Lawsuit Against Law Firm for Poor Representation
- Valentino’s African-Inspired Runway Show Has No African Models; Twitter Gives Side-Eye
- Man Fired After Online Racist Jokes Erupt from Selfie (with 'Slave')
- Judge Won’t Dismiss Molestation Lawsuit Against Bill Cosby; Yale Won't Rescind his Honorary Degree
- Nicki Minaj Calls Out Miley Cyrus on her Cultural Appropriation Insensitivity: 'You Have Some Big Balls'
- Victor Cruz’s Fiancée Sends Group Text to All of His Mistresses: Report
- Ben Carson Judges Ore. Shooting Victims: ‘I Wouldn’t Just Stand There and Let Him Shoot Me’
- After 3 Years, Stevie Wonder’s Divorce from Kai Millard Finalized
- Rosie O’Donnell’s Daughter: Mom Left ‘The View’ Over Rift with Whoopi
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here