*R&B veteran Donell Jones‘ long-awaited seventh studio album, “Forever,” is in stores now.
The album was released under his label imprint CandyMan Music in conjunction with Entertainment One Music.
Jones takes us back to a classic time in music with live instrumentation and inspirational songwriting on songs including the album’s title track, “Forever.” The 12 track project also features a personal ode to his mother aptly titled, “A Mother’s Love.”
The Huffington Post had a chance to sit down with Jones and he opened up about the new project and his experience running his independent CandyMan Music label.
On the album’s lead single, “Forever,” you dedicated the track to your “22.” What’s the meaning behind the term, “22”?
Me and my girl was looking on the internet and we were checking out life path numbers. And that was her life path number. So I said, “you know what, instead of putting your name in the record I’m just going to say, my 22.” So that was my message out to her without really having to put her name down.
Do you think R&B is missing the sentimental value it once had?
I think R&B is missing the art of storytelling. And the art of storytelling through videos. That’s what we use to have. I think nowadays what the problem is, back in the days we used to have all the different singer-songwriter producers and once we heard their record you knew exactly who it was. Nowadays a lot of the younger artists are going to the same producers, and that’s what’s making the record sound the same. You don’t have a variety of different sounds out there, so when you get a chance to hear something that’s really good you go, “oh wow, I like that sh*t. That’s different.” Different is good now.
There’s a track on the album titled, “Step The F Off.” How should fans interpret that?
[Laughs] It’s pretty much about this chick who got a man and she tries to hit up on you. A lot cats [sic] think that there’s cats who be trying to hit up on their girl, but sometimes it be the girl. So it’s like, “yo, you need to step off because I ain’t trying to fight this dude over you.” I don’t want one night of pleasure end [sic] up in a lifetime of misery.
To read more of the interview go to the Huffington Post
Watch the interview below:
- EUR Tech Review: Samsung 2015: The Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Plus (VIDEO)
- The Truth About Coffee and the Diabetes Risk
- THE (08-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Usain Bolt Mowed Down by Segway (WATCH)
- Debbie Allen Dance Academy Offers scholarship to an ‘Uplifting Minds II’ Talent on Saturday October 24
- Let's Get Direct! Fail to Win!
- Kevin Craig West’s Starring Role in 'Twilight The StoryTellers -The Groundskeeper' Reaches 3 Million + Facebook Views
- Street Leading to Sandra Bland's Alma Mater Renamed in Her Honor
- Burger King Proposes to McDonalds ... in the Name of Peace
- Had Your Fill Yet?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here