*Rihanna’s lawyers have asked a judge at London’s High Court to issue an injunction against Topshop retail stores to prevent further sales of tank tops bearing her likeness.
The singer filed suit against executives at Topshop parent company Arcadia Group Brands, Limited in May after taking issue with a line of their clothes, which featured a photo of Rihanna, taken by a freelance pap “without her permission” while on the set of her 2011 music video “We Found Love.”
The case was heard in court on Friday (July 19), when her lawyer, Martin Howe, argued the image used on the T-shirts was “very similar” to pictures included on CD sleeves for her album “Talk That Talk,” on which the single is featured, and therefore could have duped fans into thinking the products were licensed by the artist.
He claimed Topshop chiefs’ decision to sell the top amounted to “passing off” the goods as the singer’s own, which is likely to have damaged her reputation with devotees once they discovered it was not a “genuine” piece of merchandise with an “emotional connection to their heroine.”
However, attorneys for the defense insist they did nothing wrong, because they purchased the license to the picture from the photographer and are therefore not liable to pay the artist image rights.
Topshop’s lawyer, Geoffrey Hobbs, stated, “We resist the claim on two main bases; first, this is, in substance and reality, an impermissible attempt by Rihanna to establish an image reproduction right in the UK. There is no such right. On the contrary, Topshop are entitled honestly to sell the garment, having obtained the necessary copyright license. Secondly there is no representation here, given that the garment is fashion wear and not promotional merchandise.”
A judge has yet to rule on the case. Rihanna is seeking $5 million in damages and a ban on any similar products bearing her likeness being sold by Topshop. She is also demanding all existing items be destroyed.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- HUD to Sue Landlords if They Deny Housing Over Criminal Records
- Wendy Williams, Steve Harvey, 'The Real' Score Emmy Nominations
- Fetty Wap Sends 'Wake Up' Message to Graduates
- John Wayne's Racist Comments Kill Official Recognition in California Assembly
- Dr. Phil Talks Prince, Nick Gordon & Prescription Drug Epidemic (WATCH)
- THE (04-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Beyoncé Partners with Amex & Uber for 'Formation' Fan Experience
- Prince Family Money Fight! Sister Tyka Storms Out of Meeting
- Six Year Old Starved by Parents Forced to Eat Hot Dog Smoothies (Video)
- Master P's Ex Has 'Stripper' Goals - Meet Ayesha Curry's Alter Ego
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here