*Actress Rose Byrne is in talks for Sony’s urban remake of “Annie,” sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.
The “Bridesmaids” and “Damages” star would play Grace, dutiful assistant to Jamie Foxx’s “Daddy” Warbucks character Benjamin Stacks, the rich New York financier who takes in the orphan, played by Quvenzhane Wallis.
Cameron Diaz has signed on to play villainous orphanage matron Miss Hannigan.
Based on the Great Depression-era comic strip, the Jay-Z- and Will Smith-produced update of the iconic Broadway musical is set in modern times.
Will Gluck is directing the project. Other producers include Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter and Jada Pinkett-Smith as well as Jay Brown and Tyran “Ty Ty” Smith of Marcy Media.
The movie is due for a Christmas Day 2014 release.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here