*Kerry Washington graces the August cover of Vanity Fair and is featured in a spread filled with high fashion and a one-on-one interview.
The star of the hit ABC series “Scandal” – and recently married actress – talks about her role as Olivia Pope, a quick-witted political fixer who has become one of TV’s breakout characters.
“One of the most profound things for me about the show is the number of white women of all ages who come up to me and say, ‘I want to be Olivia Pope,’” Washington told Vanity Fair’s contributing editor David Kamp.
“Scandal” has quickly become one of TV’s biggest shows and has brought in some of the highest ratings for the network. The show’s creator, Shonda Rhimes, has been cited as much of the success of the show.
Rhimes has successfully built a following of fans, referred to as “gladiators,” who have shown their support from all over the world.
“It’s especially profound in a place like South Africa,” she continues. “It’s called The Fixer over there, and it just started its second season. The fact that white women can see this woman of color as an aspirational character is revolutionary, I think, in the medium of television. I don’t think white women would feel that way about Olivia if her identity as a woman, period, wasn’t first in their mind.”
The August issue of Vanity Fair is now on stands.
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here