*Kerry Washington graces the August cover of Vanity Fair and is featured in a spread filled with high fashion and a one-on-one interview.
The star of the hit ABC series “Scandal” – and recently married actress – talks about her role as Olivia Pope, a quick-witted political fixer who has become one of TV’s breakout characters.
“One of the most profound things for me about the show is the number of white women of all ages who come up to me and say, ‘I want to be Olivia Pope,’” Washington told Vanity Fair’s contributing editor David Kamp.
“Scandal” has quickly become one of TV’s biggest shows and has brought in some of the highest ratings for the network. The show’s creator, Shonda Rhimes, has been cited as much of the success of the show.
Rhimes has successfully built a following of fans, referred to as “gladiators,” who have shown their support from all over the world.
“It’s especially profound in a place like South Africa,” she continues. “It’s called The Fixer over there, and it just started its second season. The fact that white women can see this woman of color as an aspirational character is revolutionary, I think, in the medium of television. I don’t think white women would feel that way about Olivia if her identity as a woman, period, wasn’t first in their mind.”
The August issue of Vanity Fair is now on stands.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- PA Judge Rules Bill Cosby Trial Can Proceed on All Charges
- Prince Fans Confused After Minnesota Declares ‘Beyonce Day’
- Bishop Eddie Long To Discuss Struggles During Sex Scandal on ‘Steve Harvey’
- Erica Campbell: 'I Didn't Takeover' Yolanda Adams' Radio Slot [EUR Exclusive]
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here