*Soledad O’Brien lashed out the Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen over his recent column suggesting George Zimmerman was justified in profiling Trayvon Martin.
“Richard Cohen. Wash Post. Seriously? And people tell me docs abt Black in Amer and Latino in Amer are divisive?” she tweeted. In response to someone tweeting, “what’s worse is that Washington Post defended the piece,” O’Brien said that that was in “a whole other category of annoyance.”
As previously reported, Cohen drew sharp criticism after he attempted to justify George Zimmerman’s suspicion of Martin because the teen was wearing a hoodie — which Cohen described as a “uniform we all recognize.” The Post defended running the piece, saying that it was part of a “conversation about race.” It was the first of two columns supporting the racial profiling of Martin in the newspaper this week.
O’Brien, whose father is Australian and mother is Afro-Cuban, tweeted Thursday: “My mom used to say ‘because we knew America was better than that’ when people would spit on her and my (white) dad for their relationship. … I think she’s right. But it’s a slow and sometimes tortuous path.”
The former CNN anchor hosted the “Black In America” series, and has called out critics who allege that the specials are “divisive.” In her new role, she will continue to make documentaries for CNN and other outlets, and will be a special correspondent for Al Jazeera America.
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here