*Soledad O’Brien lashed out the Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen over his recent column suggesting George Zimmerman was justified in profiling Trayvon Martin.
“Richard Cohen. Wash Post. Seriously? And people tell me docs abt Black in Amer and Latino in Amer are divisive?” she tweeted. In response to someone tweeting, “what’s worse is that Washington Post defended the piece,” O’Brien said that that was in “a whole other category of annoyance.”
As previously reported, Cohen drew sharp criticism after he attempted to justify George Zimmerman’s suspicion of Martin because the teen was wearing a hoodie — which Cohen described as a “uniform we all recognize.” The Post defended running the piece, saying that it was part of a “conversation about race.” It was the first of two columns supporting the racial profiling of Martin in the newspaper this week.
O’Brien, whose father is Australian and mother is Afro-Cuban, tweeted Thursday: “My mom used to say ‘because we knew America was better than that’ when people would spit on her and my (white) dad for their relationship. … I think she’s right. But it’s a slow and sometimes tortuous path.”
The former CNN anchor hosted the “Black In America” series, and has called out critics who allege that the specials are “divisive.” In her new role, she will continue to make documentaries for CNN and other outlets, and will be a special correspondent for Al Jazeera America.
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Russell Wilson, Ciara Practicing Abstinence: ‘I Need You to Pray for Us’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here