*Soledad O’Brien lashed out the Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen over his recent column suggesting George Zimmerman was justified in profiling Trayvon Martin.
“Richard Cohen. Wash Post. Seriously? And people tell me docs abt Black in Amer and Latino in Amer are divisive?” she tweeted. In response to someone tweeting, “what’s worse is that Washington Post defended the piece,” O’Brien said that that was in “a whole other category of annoyance.”
As previously reported, Cohen drew sharp criticism after he attempted to justify George Zimmerman’s suspicion of Martin because the teen was wearing a hoodie — which Cohen described as a “uniform we all recognize.” The Post defended running the piece, saying that it was part of a “conversation about race.” It was the first of two columns supporting the racial profiling of Martin in the newspaper this week.
O’Brien, whose father is Australian and mother is Afro-Cuban, tweeted Thursday: “My mom used to say ‘because we knew America was better than that’ when people would spit on her and my (white) dad for their relationship. … I think she’s right. But it’s a slow and sometimes tortuous path.”
The former CNN anchor hosted the “Black In America” series, and has called out critics who allege that the specials are “divisive.” In her new role, she will continue to make documentaries for CNN and other outlets, and will be a special correspondent for Al Jazeera America.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- What Happened to US Government Employee Kanika Powell?
- Danny Glover Joins Gabrielle Union's ‘A Meyer’s Christmas’; Ernie Hudson Added to ‘Graves’
- Detroit Woman’s ‘Dead Body on Lawn’ Halloween Prank Draws 911 Calls
- New Radio Station: ItzYourzRadioLive.com Now Broadcasting
- You Could Break the Bank Going to 'The Happiest Place On Earth!'
- Walter Scott’s Family Gets $6.5M in Settlement With N. Charleston (Watch)
- ‘Star Wars’ Actor John Boyega to Racist Fans: ‘I’m In the Movie, What Are You Gonna Do About It?’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here