*Spike Lee is responding to critics of his Kickstarter campaign to fund his latest film project.
In a new YouTube video, Lee addresses criticism from those who argue that the established auteur-filmmaker is eclipsing attempts by younger aspiring directors to crowd-fund their films.
“I understand why people might think that, but that’s not the case at all,” says Lee. “I’m bringing people to Kickstarter who’ve never even heard of Kickstarter,” particularly “a lot of people of color.”
He continues: “So I really think that it’s a fallacy, it’s a misconception and it’s plain-out wrong with a capital ‘w’ that because [a donor] backs my film for $5, that was $5 that a young filmmaker was gonna get. And that logic does not follow through.”
Lee says he’s not surprised by any pushback he gets, mentioning other celebrities who’ve also received flack for using the platform — such as Zach Braff for his “Garden State” follow-up.
“Why would I be teaching for the last 15 years at NYU if I did not care about filmmakers?” he asks. “Why would I be the artistic director of NYU graduate film school if I did not care about young filmmakers?”
Lee’s friend, Steven Soderbergh, pledged $10,000 toward Lee’s $1.25 million campaign, which launched last week and, so far, has raised $356,333 with 23 more days left to reach the goal. At the moment, Lee has 1,847 backers for the project, which he describes as a “funny,” “sexy” and “bloody” picture about people “who are addicted to blood.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Nicki Minaj Ends Interview After 'Rude' Questions About Drake, Meek Mill
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Done Deal: F. Gary Gray Confirmed to Direct ‘Fast & Furious 8’
- Kelly Rowland is the New Face of Seagram’s Escapes
- Temple Board of Trustees Set to Replace Bill Cosby with Tamron Hall
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here