*Spike Lee is responding to critics of his Kickstarter campaign to fund his latest film project.
In a new YouTube video, Lee addresses criticism from those who argue that the established auteur-filmmaker is eclipsing attempts by younger aspiring directors to crowd-fund their films.
“I understand why people might think that, but that’s not the case at all,” says Lee. “I’m bringing people to Kickstarter who’ve never even heard of Kickstarter,” particularly “a lot of people of color.”
He continues: “So I really think that it’s a fallacy, it’s a misconception and it’s plain-out wrong with a capital ‘w’ that because [a donor] backs my film for $5, that was $5 that a young filmmaker was gonna get. And that logic does not follow through.”
Lee says he’s not surprised by any pushback he gets, mentioning other celebrities who’ve also received flack for using the platform — such as Zach Braff for his “Garden State” follow-up.
“Why would I be teaching for the last 15 years at NYU if I did not care about filmmakers?” he asks. “Why would I be the artistic director of NYU graduate film school if I did not care about young filmmakers?”
Lee’s friend, Steven Soderbergh, pledged $10,000 toward Lee’s $1.25 million campaign, which launched last week and, so far, has raised $356,333 with 23 more days left to reach the goal. At the moment, Lee has 1,847 backers for the project, which he describes as a “funny,” “sexy” and “bloody” picture about people “who are addicted to blood.”
- Bill Cosby Set to Be Deposed by Sept. 30 in Judy Huth Case
- Late Golf Great Charlie Sifford's Family Stole $1 Million From Him
- Former NBA All Star Vin Baker Training for Starbucks Manager Spot
- The Griswolds Are Back On 'Vacation' (Watch)
- The Second Deadly Assault on Sandra Bland
- Troubling: Two Officers Corroborated Killer Cop's False Account of DuBose Killing
- Audio Interview: Basketball and Art Unite to Inspire Youth Life Skills (Listen)
- Your MISSION: Laser Tag
- Kim Kimble, Celebrity Hairstylist Panelists at Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo~Aug 1&2@The Reef
- THE (07-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here