The prolific director joins a growing number of independent filmmakers in utilizing the funding platform to finance films that may not necessarily be the blockbuster material that Hollywood is looking for. Lee is seeking to raise $1.25 million over the next month.
“I needed to go to Kickstarter to get this film made because this is not necessarily a Hollywood film, Lee told theGrio. “It’s more like an independent film.”
Lee has given out little detail about the plot of his upcoming film, but on Kickstarter describes the movie as “the newest hottest Spike Lee Joint.” But here’s what he told theGrio’s Chris Witherspoon:
“It’s the type of a film that for it best to work, you gotta go in knowing the least amount of information about it as possible. What I will say is that we’re calling it psychological bloody thriller, with naked black people… butt naked. Now who’s made a film like that? My man Tyler made a film like that… and I say that in all love, because me and Tyler are cool.”
Throughout his film career, spanning more than three decades, Lee has undeniably been a trailblazer creating a unique genre of storytelling all his own.
However, the 56-year-old Brooklyn native doesn’t envision his contemporaries in the industry, like Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg or Clint Eastwood, following in his footsteps and turning to Kickstarter to fund their future films.
“Anybody could do this, but Steven Spielberg,” Lee said while laughing. “Spielberg, Clint Eastwood, Scorsese, they don’t have to do that.” Why? “Because they don’t have to do it,” he said “They’re great filmmakers and they’re beloved by the studios.”
Lee’s next film, which is scheduled to hit theaters in October, will be his remake of the Korean thriller “Oldboy.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here