*In its ongoing campaign to win the right to use the movie title “The Butler” from the MPAA’s Title Registration Bureau, the Weinstein Co. announced Tuesday that Katy Butler, a teen activist in Ann Arbor, Mich., has launched a petition aimed at Warner Bros. supporting the Weinstein Co.’s position.
“Claiming that this new movie will take away from the 1916 short and cause confusion for the audience is almost as ridiculous as saying my name, Katy Butler, will create confusion,” Butler wrote in an introduction to the petition, which posted Tuesday morning on Change.org. “Warner Bros. needs to let people see ‘The Butler’ with its original title. I just hope they don’t make me change my last name after this petition gets out there!”
Butler has become TWC’s go-to teen activist since she posted an earlier petition supporting the company when it unsuccessfully appealed an R rating given to the documentary “Bully” in 2012. TWC subsequently eliminated some of that movie’s F-words, and the MPAA’s ratings board reclassified it PG-13.
“The Butler,” which TWC continues to promote under the disputed title, stars Forest Whitaker and is directed by Lee Daniels. It is due to be released Aug. 13.
Butler’s full petition attracted just over 100 supporters in its first few hours.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Business Owners Combine To Launch Innovative Approach to 'Buy Black' Movement
- 2 Chainz’s #IsThisYoThot? Lawsuit Thrown Out by Judge
- Daniel ‘Boobie’ Gibson Reacts to Keyshia Cole’s Engagement Tweet (Pic)
- Photo of Dog With Mouth Taped Shut on Facebook, Leads to Arrest of NC Woman
- Donovan McNabb Begins 18-Day Jail Sentence in Arizona
- If You Missed it, Here's the Soul Train Awards Babyface Tribute (WATCH)
- 50 Cent Still Hasn’t Paid $7M Judgment to Rick Ross’ Baby Mother
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Fires Police Supt. Garry McCarthy
- Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae, Laila Ali Join Alicia Keys Charity as Ambassadors
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here