However, some think it may not have been a good idea. That’s because she told Cooper that even though she’s convinced George Zimmerman’s guilty, personally she doesn’t believe that he picked Trayvon out because he was black.
The interview was emotional and when Cooper asked Stanley if she was watching the trial, she answered tearfully, “It’s hard for me to see and hear the things that led to his death.”
In discussing her relationship with Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin, she spoke on how he stopped speaking to her once the media entered the picture.
“He would just he was busy.”
Cooper asked about the testimony of Trayvon’s friend, Rachel Jeantel, who said Martin referred to Zimmerman as a “creepy-ass cracker.” Stanley responded, “Kids gonna be kids,” adding that she never heard Trayvon use those words.
Getting back to Zimmerman and the racial element, Anderson Cooper asked Alicia Stanley if she thinks race was a factor in how Zimmerman singled out Martin.
“No, I really don’t think it was Zimmerman don’t like black people, or he picked him out because he was black. Did he profile him with the hoodie and stuff like that as this thug, whatever, walking, in Zimmerman’s mind? Yes, but to say that he targeted him because he was black? No, I don’t–I don’t think so.”
Stanley, who spent 14 years helping raise Trayvon, became emotional again when talking about how painful it was to not be able to sit in the front row at her slain stepson’s funeral.
“They told me to ‘get in where I fit in,’ ” Stanley said, getting choked up. “I can’t sit on the front row at my son’s funeral to see him home. That hurt me, that was the most painful thing they could do to me.”
She also told Cooper that it would be “heartbreaking” and “unbelievable” if George Zimmerman is found not guilty.
Check out the interview:
- EUR Q&A: Carl Pittman, Black Conservative, 'Offended' By Black Lives Matter
- Dennis Haysbert to Voice NBC’s ‘Meet the Press’ Intro
- 50 Cent On Verge of Getting Electricity Shut Off?
- Damon Wayans Reveals Tracy Morgan's Undisclosed Walmart Settlement; Morgan's Camp Puzzled
- The New Yorker Cover Depicts President Kanye West
- EUR Quickie: Shocking Photo! ... Can U Guess Who This is?
- Janet Jackson Releases Title Track from ‘Unbreakable’ (Listen)
- Criminal Charges Recommended for Camper Accused of Terrorizing Black Family
- Holy Crap! My House is On Fire...I'd Better Grab My Spareribs! (Video)
- Maya Angelou’s Art Collection Heading to Auction
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here