*Out of work (former Florida congressman) Allen West is so predictable.
In the wake of President Obama‘s speech about the outcome of the George Zimmerman trial where he recounted being followed in a mall and hearing locks clicking on doors when he passed by, West of course took the opportunity to say that he’s that has never happened to him.
“I am a black male who grew up in the inner city of Atlanta and no one ever followed me in a mall. I don’t recall any doors clicking when I crossed the street. And I never had anyone clutching their handbag when I got on an elevator. I guess having two awesome parents who taught me to be a respectful young man paid dividends.” – Allen West
As the theGrio‘s Joy Ann Reid points out, West may disagree with President Obama (and a majority of African-Americans) about the experience of being a black man in America, but his opinion on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case isn’t in total alignment with fellow conservatives like Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter, who have embraced Zimmerman completely.
In March 2012, before Zimmerman’s arrest and amid mass protests in Sanford and around the country, West said Zimmerman had “no authorization” to shoot Martin, adding: “this is a self-made head of a community neighborhood watch. That’s where my concern is.” He called the shooting an “outrage” on his Facebook page and joined calls for a federal probe:
“Let’s all be appalled at this instance not because of race, but because a young American man has lost his life, seemingly, for no reason,” West wrote. “I have signed a letter supporting a [Department of Justice] investigation. I am not heading to Sanford to shout and scream, because we need the responsible entities and agencies to handle this situation from this point without media bias or undue political influences. This is an outrage.”
Now of course, he’s come full circle. On his Facebook page on the day after the verdict, West also lashed out at “the usual suspect race baiters and progressive media” who he said are using the case “for political gain.”
- Rain Pryor Talks Race, Richard Pryor and ‘Fried Chicken & Latkes’
- Exclusive: Dayo Okeniyi Has Pivotal Role in 'Terminator Genysis'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: The Malignant Hate Cancer Took Nine Lives
- Allen West: Confederate Flag is ‘Manufactured Political Crisis’ by Left
- Panel Photos: Beautiful Textures Presents 'Who Wore What,' BET Awards Fashion Recap [Photos]
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here