According to sources, Fox was looking to go with an industry professional versus another celebrity. The show’s producers were trying to avoid adding another woman to the equation after last season’s beef between Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj. The friction didn’t go over too well with the older female demographic.
Fox declined to comment on any aspect of Idol business.
Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez reportedly have committed to judging this Idol season.
Luke’s deal unraveled because his camp feared his involvement with the show would take away from commitments to his label at Sony Music. But Luke really wanted to be an idol judge and continued to plead with Sony Music CEO Doug Morris. He even offered to give the label half of his Idol fee, said to be about $12 million according to sources.
For Luke, the sacrifice would not be great as he is said to earn more than $30 million a year from his music business.
According to sources, Morris didn’t budge because Sony’s competitor, Universal Music Group, holds the exclusive rights to American Idol recordings. He apparently doesn’t want Luke helping out the competition.
Meanwhile, sources say Fox and Idol producers are upset with CAA — which collects millions in packaging fees on Idol — for assuring them that Luke’s contract would allow him to take the job. When Fox attorneys examined the deal with Sony Music, they found that Luke was not free after all. CAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna and Rob K Stand to Make $1 Million for Bay Pics
- Beyoncé Earns Big for Tidal, Superjam 2016 Lineup Announced
- Monica Updates Fans On Marriage Status, Praises Husband
- Endangered Gorilla Killed After 4-Yr-Old Boy Enters Habitat (WATCH Dramatic Video)
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- Cute as Heck: 10-Year Old Gets to 'Play Bass' With Paul McCartney (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here