*Although they couldn’t say much about the new season, Angela Bassett and her “American Horror Story: Coven” co-stars Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson took questions Friday at FX’s portion of the Television Critics Association press tour, and managed to make some news by revealing the names of their characters.
Bassett, 54, is playing Marie Laveau, based loosely on the famed 19th century Creole Voodoo practitioner of the same name who was born free in New Orleans and had a vast multiracial following.
Bassett, a devout Christian, admits being a bit freaked out by her character’s mystical practices while researching the role: “There were some voodooins in who have offered to show me a few things, but I don’t know if I need all that right now.”
Bates, who will play socialite and serial killer Marie Delphine said, “I’d like to meet ‘em.”
As for returning actresses Lange and Paulson, they’ll play blood relatives this time around. Lange portrays a witch named Fiona and Paulson will play her daughter, Cordelia.
Below, Bassett, mother to 7-year-old twins Bronwyn and Slater and wife to actor Courtney B. Vance, tells us how she was offered the role by creator Ryan Murphy and why she jumped at the chance to do it.
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Producers of Katrina Relief Telethon Reflect on 'Kanye Moment' for 10th Anniversary
- Allergic to Clothes: Indian Farmer Has Been Naked for 40 Years!
- Pres. Obama to Appear on NBC’s ‘Running Wild With Bear Grylls’…For Real
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here