*Although they couldn’t say much about the new season, Angela Bassett and her “American Horror Story: Coven” co-stars Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson took questions Friday at FX’s portion of the Television Critics Association press tour, and managed to make some news by revealing the names of their characters.
Bassett, 54, is playing Marie Laveau, based loosely on the famed 19th century Creole Voodoo practitioner of the same name who was born free in New Orleans and had a vast multiracial following.
Bassett, a devout Christian, admits being a bit freaked out by her character’s mystical practices while researching the role: “There were some voodooins in who have offered to show me a few things, but I don’t know if I need all that right now.”
Bates, who will play socialite and serial killer Marie Delphine said, “I’d like to meet ‘em.”
As for returning actresses Lange and Paulson, they’ll play blood relatives this time around. Lange portrays a witch named Fiona and Paulson will play her daughter, Cordelia.
Below, Bassett, mother to 7-year-old twins Bronwyn and Slater and wife to actor Courtney B. Vance, tells us how she was offered the role by creator Ryan Murphy and why she jumped at the chance to do it.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Steve J Brags to Nick Cannon He Sexed Mariah Carey ... Twice!
- One-Year-Old Dies, After Being Shot in the Face in Compton
- Jay Z's Drug Dealer Past Thrown at Beyonce by TV Host Tomi Lahren
- Former Atlanta Vice Mayor Lisa Borders Named New WNBA President
- Does Bernie Sanders Meeting Al Sharpton Equal More Black Voter Support?
- Author Guarantees 'Boy, Get a Job...' Helps Teens Find Work
- THE (02-11-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oh God: Johnny Depp Nails 'The Donald' in Funny or Die Video (Look!)
- Will Smith Calls Son Jayden 'Fearless' for Rockin' Women's Clothes
- Lakatriona Brunson: Florida’s First Female Head Football Coach
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here