*Although they couldn’t say much about the new season, Angela Bassett and her “American Horror Story: Coven” co-stars Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson took questions Friday at FX’s portion of the Television Critics Association press tour, and managed to make some news by revealing the names of their characters.
Bassett, 54, is playing Marie Laveau, based loosely on the famed 19th century Creole Voodoo practitioner of the same name who was born free in New Orleans and had a vast multiracial following.
Bassett, a devout Christian, admits being a bit freaked out by her character’s mystical practices while researching the role: “There were some voodooins in who have offered to show me a few things, but I don’t know if I need all that right now.”
Bates, who will play socialite and serial killer Marie Delphine said, “I’d like to meet ‘em.”
As for returning actresses Lange and Paulson, they’ll play blood relatives this time around. Lange portrays a witch named Fiona and Paulson will play her daughter, Cordelia.
Below, Bassett, mother to 7-year-old twins Bronwyn and Slater and wife to actor Courtney B. Vance, tells us how she was offered the role by creator Ryan Murphy and why she jumped at the chance to do it.
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here