*Although they couldn’t say much about the new season, Angela Bassett and her “American Horror Story: Coven” co-stars Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson took questions Friday at FX’s portion of the Television Critics Association press tour, and managed to make some news by revealing the names of their characters.
Bassett, 54, is playing Marie Laveau, based loosely on the famed 19th century Creole Voodoo practitioner of the same name who was born free in New Orleans and had a vast multiracial following.
Bassett, a devout Christian, admits being a bit freaked out by her character’s mystical practices while researching the role: “There were some voodooins in who have offered to show me a few things, but I don’t know if I need all that right now.”
Bates, who will play socialite and serial killer Marie Delphine said, “I’d like to meet ‘em.”
As for returning actresses Lange and Paulson, they’ll play blood relatives this time around. Lange portrays a witch named Fiona and Paulson will play her daughter, Cordelia.
Below, Bassett, mother to 7-year-old twins Bronwyn and Slater and wife to actor Courtney B. Vance, tells us how she was offered the role by creator Ryan Murphy and why she jumped at the chance to do it.
- Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sued for Wooing, Then, Deserting Boxer
- Nick Gordon Begs Permission to Attend Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral
- Bobbi Kristina’s Fam Feuding Over Planned Sweet 16-Themed Funeral?
- Wilson, Seahawks Agee to 4-Year, $87.5 Million Contract Extension
- Neechy Gospel: John P. Kee to Release New Project LEVEL NEXT
- Sophie Okonedo to Star in New BBC America Series ‘Undercover’
- Evan Ross, Ashlee Simpson Welcome Baby Girl
- Missy Elliott Reportedly Joins ‘The Voice’ Season 9 as a Mentor
- Dylann Roof Enters 33 ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas in Federal Court
- Unauthorized Beyoncé Bio to Reveal Inside Deets on 'SolangeGate'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here