*Aretha Franklin will not be attending a baseball luncheon during which she was to receive a “Beacon” award for embodying the spirit of the civil rights movement, The Associated Press reports.
Franklin, 71, has already canceled several concerts recently because of undisclosed health reasons. In a statement issued Monday by Major League Baseball, the Queen of Soul referred to ongoing “treatment” that prevented her from traveling. Franklin lives in the Detroit area; the luncheon is being held in Chicago on Saturday.
As recently as last week, Franklin had been expected to attend the luncheon.
“I greatly appreciate being a Beacon Award recipient,” Franklin said in her statement. “Presently, I am unable to travel as I continue my treatment. I am working toward a full recovery.”
Franklin and former baseball star Bo Jackson were to be presented “Beacon” awards, which in previous years have been given to Willie Mays and Harry Belafonte among others. Major League Baseball plans to announce at a later date, but before the ceremony, who will accept the award on Franklin’s behalf.
The “Beacon” luncheon is one of several events marking baseball’s Civil Rights Game weekend.
“It is unfortunate that Aretha Franklin will not be able to attend the MLB Beacon Awards Luncheon, but Major League Baseball wishes her the best throughout her treatment,” said baseball Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, executive vice president of baseball development for Major League Baseball.
Franklin has had health issues before. In 2010, she was hospitalized and underwent surgery for undisclosed reasons. Vigils were held for her and the Rev. Jesse Jackson, a family friend, referred to her surgery as “serious.”
- EUR on the Scene: Exclusive Look Inside the 2015 VMAs
- Jamaican Author Shares Her Story on Being Raped at Gunpoint; Empowers Women to Triumph Over Adversity
- Detroit's ZanYe Digs Deep for Ballroom with Reboot of Four Tops Classic
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here