It turns out the story is not true:
It seemed for a moment that when power couple Beyonce and Jay Z were in Chicago last month, they apparently saw something they liked in the New Regal Theater, one of the city’s most stunning classic, vacant movie palaces. But alas.
According to a post on GumBumper.com, Bey and S.C. purchased the New Regal Theater, which opened as the Avalon Theater in 1927 and was closed by its previous owners in 2003, for $250,000.
But that report was first called into question Wednesday afternoon after NBC Chicago spoke with “a source familiar with” the theater’s pending sale who said the rumored celebrity purchase was inaccurate. DNAinfo Chicago later put the kibosh on the rumor.
The Chicago Sun-Times, too, quoted a source — “a close business associate of Jay-Z” — who said he knew nothing of the deal described by GumBumper.com.
Read/learn MORE at Huffington Post.
Earlier, we reported …
After closing down for year to undergo renovations and then restored with city TIFF funds, the couple decided to purchase the building.
Word is Beyonce was motivated to buy it after she attended a party there to celebrate Barack Obama’s presidential nomination acceptance speech in August 2008.
In other Jay Z news, the rap mogul donated $1 million in scholarships for students to study abroad.
Shawn Carter Scholarship recipient Laquisha Springer responded to criticism
“So I’m assuming people, when they say he’s not doing enough, they’re expecting him to literally help the world,” said the 21-year-old behavioral neuroscience major. “But for me, personally at least, his foundation has helped me out at lot since I’ve been a scholar.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Gucci Mane Released from Prison Four Months Early
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Moves On…With a Man
- Actor Michael Jace Won’t Testify in His Murder Trial
- Cyndi Lauper Salutes Prince With ‘When You Were Mine’ at NY Concert (Watch)
- NYPD’s Top Cop on T.I. Concert Shooting: Rappers are ‘Basically Thugs’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here