It turns out the story is not true:
It seemed for a moment that when power couple Beyonce and Jay Z were in Chicago last month, they apparently saw something they liked in the New Regal Theater, one of the city’s most stunning classic, vacant movie palaces. But alas.
According to a post on GumBumper.com, Bey and S.C. purchased the New Regal Theater, which opened as the Avalon Theater in 1927 and was closed by its previous owners in 2003, for $250,000.
But that report was first called into question Wednesday afternoon after NBC Chicago spoke with “a source familiar with” the theater’s pending sale who said the rumored celebrity purchase was inaccurate. DNAinfo Chicago later put the kibosh on the rumor.
The Chicago Sun-Times, too, quoted a source — “a close business associate of Jay-Z” — who said he knew nothing of the deal described by GumBumper.com.
Read/learn MORE at Huffington Post.
Earlier, we reported …
After closing down for year to undergo renovations and then restored with city TIFF funds, the couple decided to purchase the building.
Word is Beyonce was motivated to buy it after she attended a party there to celebrate Barack Obama’s presidential nomination acceptance speech in August 2008.
In other Jay Z news, the rap mogul donated $1 million in scholarships for students to study abroad.
Shawn Carter Scholarship recipient Laquisha Springer responded to criticism
“So I’m assuming people, when they say he’s not doing enough, they’re expecting him to literally help the world,” said the 21-year-old behavioral neuroscience major. “But for me, personally at least, his foundation has helped me out at lot since I’ve been a scholar.”
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers on the ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ of Andre Lyon
- Ratings Plummet in Return of Halle Berry’s ‘Extant’
- L.A. District Attorney (Jackie Lacey) Silent on Pressing Charges Against CHP Officer in Video Beating
- Marisa Tomei Joins 'Empire' as Recurring Character
- Prince Yanks His Music From Every Streaming Service Except Tidal
- Bobbi Kristina: Grave Being Prepared; Alleged Former Drug Dealer Dies of Overdose
- Chris Brown Files Paternity Papers to Thwart Baby Mama's Support Demands
- Rihanna Drops 'BBHMM' Video; Kidnaps Fans for Tidal Launch (Watch)
- Economy Adds 223K Jobs; Black Unemployment Down Slightly
- Don Lemon to Donald Trump: 'Did You Have to Say They Were Rapists?' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here