*Civil rights activist Najee Ali, director of Project Islamic Hope, is calling for a boycott of hip hop mogul Russell Simmons‘ business interests in response to Simmons’ production of the so-called “Harriet Tubman Sex Tape” comedy skit.
The video appeared on Simmons new “All Def Digital” YouTube channel and depicts Tubman in a sexual encounter with a white slave owner.
“Russell Simmons’ half hearted, and weak apology is not being accepted by many outraged African Americans. To portray Tubman an icon and one of the most bravest women in our nations history in this manner is inexcusable.
“Slavery was not a joke. I doubt very seriously that Simmons would produce a comedy skit depicting a holocaust victim engaging in sexual acts with Hitler or a Nazi guard in order to secure her freedom. The Jewish community would never allow it. The African American community shouldn’t allow anyone to depict Tubman in this manner. Simmons has to be held accountable and just can’t apologize his way out of this. We’re calling for an immediate boycott of all his business products and companies which include DefJam, PhatFarm and RushCard,” stated Najee Ali, director of Project Islamic Hope.
“Simmons has essentially spit in the face of every black woman in the nation by disrespecting the legacy of Tubman. I’m not accepting his apology. African-Americans were outraged by Paula Deen’s racist comments. Yet Simmons, who should have known better, should be held to the same standard. If we’re going to be outraged by white Americans who we feel make racist comments and light of slavery, we should be just as outraged by Simmons’ ridiculing Tubman and the horrors of slavery,” says Khadijah Muhammad of Project Islamic Hope
Date : Aug 16, 2013
Time : 11:00 am
Where: Leimert Park
3415 W.43rd Place
Los Angeles CA 90043
(Crenshaw and Vernon )
Sponsored by : Project Islamic Hope
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here