*The 50th anniversary of the historic March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom will be remembered via two separate documentaries airing on different networks.
CNN‘s original documentary “We Were There: The March On Washington – An Oral History,” hosted by network anchor Don Lemon, debuts on Friday, Aug. 23 at 10 p.m. ET, 1 a.m. ET, and 4 a.m. ET on CNN. The special “will feature interviews and first-hand accounts from the activists and civil rights figures who were there.”
Here’s a peek:
As previously reported, Denzel Washington is narrating PBS’ “The March,” which premieres on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013 at 9 p.m. ET (check local listings). John Akomfrah directs and Robert Redford serves as one of the producers.
The film reveals the dramatic story behind the event through the remembrances of key players such as Jack O’Dell, Clarence B. Jones, Julian Bond and Andrew Young. Supporters and other testimonials of the March include Harry Belafonte, Diahann Carroll, Roger Mudd, Peter Yarrow and Oprah Winfrey, in addition to historians, journalists, authors and ordinary citizens.
In conjunction with the march’s Aug. 28 anniversary, PBS has planned a full week of programs, online events, and activities to mark the occasion. “The March @50” is a five part web series from independent filmmaker Shukree Tilghman which examines whether America has delivered on the promise of the March. And “Memories of the March” is a series of video vignettes from PBS member stations, which explore additional local stories on how individuals in communities participated in the March. “PBS Newshour” will also offer several reports.
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here