*Australian college baseball player, Christopher Lane, was gunned down last week and some conservatives are calling the media’s coverage of the shooting a racial double standard.
Lane was in Duncan, Oklahoma last week where he visiting his girlfriend and while out for a jog he was shot and killed. As a result three local teenagers (pictured below), James Edwards, 15, and Chancey Luna, 16, were arrested and charged with first-degree murder. Michael Jones, 17, was accused of being an accessory to first-degree murder.
Jones reportedly gave a confession sharing, “We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.”
Police having attached any racial motive to the killing. Jones is white while two of the other alleged perpetrators Edwards and Luna, are black.
Well conservative commentators feel that race is an important factor in the shooting and are lobbying for the same coverage as Trayvon Martin‘s shooting death in Florida.
Rush Limbaugh used his radio show Wednesday to insist that Lane’s killing was “Trayvon Martin in reverse.” Limbaugh insisted that the “mainstream media’s” failure to cover the racial dimensions of the crime was clear evidence of complicity in “the destruction of American culture and society.” He said one of the accused shooters “worships rappers” and celebrates “thug culture.”
Fox News tried to cover the story but instead falsely reported that all three suspects where black. The Daily Caller followed suit posting a picture of what they claimed to be Michael Jones but was actually a black man unrelated to the case.
After the public mess up they issued a retraction stating, “this, of course, changes everything.”
The Drudge Report also covered the story but with a dedicated portion of its left-hand column on Wednesday to the shooting. They choose to play up race, and Trayvon Martin.
For more on this story go to the Huffington Post.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Wendy Williams Blasts Ciara Over $15 Million Future Lawsuit
- Must See! Barack and Michelle's Valentine's Day Greetings to Each Other (WATCH)
- Black Stars Support Oscars At NAACP Image Awards (WATCH)
- Coalition of Police Officers Support Beyoncé’ & Formation Music Video
- Tina Campbell Calls Husband's Cheating Scandal 'Empowering'
- Regina King Talks ‘American Crime’ and Andre 3000
- Ciara Admits Struggle to Abstain From Sex With Russell Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here