*Australian college baseball player, Christopher Lane, was gunned down last week and some conservatives are calling the media’s coverage of the shooting a racial double standard.
Lane was in Duncan, Oklahoma last week where he visiting his girlfriend and while out for a jog he was shot and killed. As a result three local teenagers (pictured below), James Edwards, 15, and Chancey Luna, 16, were arrested and charged with first-degree murder. Michael Jones, 17, was accused of being an accessory to first-degree murder.
Jones reportedly gave a confession sharing, “We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.”
Police having attached any racial motive to the killing. Jones is white while two of the other alleged perpetrators Edwards and Luna, are black.
Well conservative commentators feel that race is an important factor in the shooting and are lobbying for the same coverage as Trayvon Martin‘s shooting death in Florida.
Rush Limbaugh used his radio show Wednesday to insist that Lane’s killing was “Trayvon Martin in reverse.” Limbaugh insisted that the “mainstream media’s” failure to cover the racial dimensions of the crime was clear evidence of complicity in “the destruction of American culture and society.” He said one of the accused shooters “worships rappers” and celebrates “thug culture.”
Fox News tried to cover the story but instead falsely reported that all three suspects where black. The Daily Caller followed suit posting a picture of what they claimed to be Michael Jones but was actually a black man unrelated to the case.
After the public mess up they issued a retraction stating, “this, of course, changes everything.”
The Drudge Report also covered the story but with a dedicated portion of its left-hand column on Wednesday to the shooting. They choose to play up race, and Trayvon Martin.
For more on this story go to the Huffington Post.
- Ice & Coco Expecting Baby Girl, Talk is Key to a Successful Marriage (VIDEO)
- Thursday's First Republican Debate Line Up Released
- Joe Jackson Out of the Hospital After Stroke
- Woman Sues Lee Daniels for $300M Claiming She Inspired Cookie Role
- Banned from Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral, Nick Gordon Mourns on Beach
- Jadeveon Clowney’s Dad Charged with Attempted Murder
- Two Dead, Several Hurt at After Party for Drake’s OVO Fest
- Former Detroit Lions RB Mel Farr Dies at 70
- Craig Robinson, Amandla Stenberg & Megan Good in NBC's 'Mr. Robinson' (Watch!)
- Lenny Kravitz Plays Through Severe Wardrobe Malfunction (NSFW Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here