*Cuba Gooding Jr. will play his final performance in the Broadway revival of Horton Foote’s The Trip to Bountiful on Aug. 27 at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, Playbill reports.
Actor Leon Addison Brown will take over the role of Ludie in the drama, which officially opened April 23, and was twice extended to Oct. 9.
Gooding Jr., who originated the role of Ludie in the revival, is departing the production for an upcoming film project. He currently appears in, “Lee Daniels’ The Butler.”
Brown has also appeared in the Broadway production of On the Waterfront. Off-Broadway he appeared in The Train Driver. The Orphans’ Home Cycle, Two Trains Running, among others. He begins performances in Bountiful Aug. 28.
Bountiful was nominated for four Tony Awards, including Best Actress in a Play (Cicely Tyson), Best Featured Actress in a Play (Condola Rashad), Best Sound Design for a Play (John Gromada) and Best Revival of a Play. Tyson won the Tony Award for her performance as Mother Carrie Watts, as well as the Drama Desk Award and Outer Critics Circle Award.
The cast also includes Emmy Award nominee Vanessa Williams (“Ugly Betty,” “Desperate Housewives”), Adepero Oduye, Tom Wopat, Devon Abner, Curtis Billings, Pat Bowie, Arthur French, Susan Heyward, Billy Eugene Jones, Bill Kux, Linda Powell and Charles Turner.
The Trip to Bountiful, according to press notes, tells the story of “Carrie Watts (Tyson), an elderly woman who dreams of returning to her small hometown of Bountiful, TX one last time, against the wishes of her overprotective son (Gooding) and domineering daughter-in-law (Williams). Her journey becomes a heartbreaking but ultimately life-affirming and inspiring tale that examines the fragility of memory and celebrates the enduring power of hope and faith.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Zoe Saldana Inks Deal to Create Digital Shows for Millennial Mothers
- This Landlord Will Only Rent To Tenants With Pit Bulls
- Warren Sapp Pleads Guilty to Domestic Violence, Avoids Jail
- Man Sentenced to 20 Years in One Court, Then Leaves to Marry Girlfriend in Another
- Joseph Patterson Convicted in Death of Adrian Peterson's Son
- 'Family Feud': Sexually Provocative Q&As Have Viewers Alarmed (WATCH)
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here