*Although recent critics have said that director Lee Daniels doesn’t support African American women, he insists that he developed an intense connection with them while growing up black and gay.
Daniels was visiting with HuffPost Live to talk about his new film “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” when host Marc Lamont Hill brought up the criticism behind recent remarks Daniel made about researching his movie “Precious.”
The remarks were made during an interview on “Larry King Now” when Daniels talked about the time he visited a health crisis center for gay men to learn about AIDS and saw “black women with kids — I thought I had walked into the welfare office.”
The comment wasn’t a direct stab at black women, but rather bringing attention to the fact that as a result of gay black men feeling pressured to stay in the closet, many black women contract AIDS from men who are on the “down-low.”
Daniels was hurt by the criticism of his statement, and said that Black women were a lifeline for him during a difficult childhood.
“I wish I were straight because I love women so much. I love black women. They are the reason that I’m here today, because I rarely was accepted by any African American man growing up, inclusive of my dad,” he said.
The director added that he conveys the many complexities of black women in his work, as he did with the character Oprah Winfrey portrays in “The Butler.”
“I believe strongly that characters are five-dimensional, and they’re complicated, and life is complicated, and people are complicated,” he said. “I like to show the grey area in all my characters. Not just white — black, everybody.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th B-day and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce from Lamar Odom ... Again!
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Spelling Bee Kids Dab Their Way Through Early Rounds (Watch)
- Venus and Serena Advance With Identical Singles Scores at French Open
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here