*Comedian Dave Chappelle angered fans in Hartford, Conn., on Thursday night when he cut short a performance and sat silently on a stool for nearly a half hour before walking off stage amid boos.
According to NBC Connecticut, Chappelle, who was headlining the Funny or Die Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Tour, was on stage at the Comcast Theatre in Hartford for just a few minutes, when he suddenly stopped his routine and said the audience was making too much noise, one witness said.
For the next 25 minutes, he sat on a stool, read from a book, told the crowd he was still getting paid and then eventually walked off the stage, a witness said.
Needless to say, some fans want a refund.
“He didn’t do anything. He just stood there. … He wanted quiet. He wanted everyone to be quiet while he performed,” one audience member said.
Others tweeted, defending Chappelle and blamed the crowd for being unruly.
According to Hartford Police, extra patrols were called in as a precaution and for potential crowd control.
There’s no official word on why Chappelle walked off the stage. The 15-city Funny or Die festival is Chappelle’s first major stand-up tour since he abruptly stopped production of his Comedy Central show and reportedly checked himself into a South African mental health facility in 2005. The next scheduled stop for the tour is tonight in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- What Happened to US Government Employee Kanika Powell?
- Danny Glover Joins Gabrielle Union's ‘A Meyer’s Christmas’; Ernie Hudson Added to ‘Graves’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here