*An executive producer of TV’s hottest series “Downton Abbey” said the decision to cast its first actor of color did not come from outside pressure to make the show more diverse.
The BBC series, which airs in the States under PBS’ “Masterpiece” banner, follows a family of English aristocrats and their servants in a countryside estate during the early 20th century. The show remains loyal to the racial makeup of the era. A compound like Downton Abbey would not have black servants, and the upstairs folk rarely had social interactions with anyone of African descent – unless the family members visited London clubs to hear African American jazz singers.
Enter London-born actor Gary Carr, who joins the series for its upcoming fourth season as “a charming and charismatic” jazz singer named Jack Ross.
However, executive producer Gareth Neame said the casting of Carr was not the result of cries for more diversity. Joining five of the show’s actresses at Tuesday’s Television Critics Association press tour, Neame would only echo sentiments expressed by the show’s creator, Julian Fellowes, who has said in past interviews that he wanted to include more black and Asian characters if he could do so in a manner that was “historically believable.”
“Downton Abbey” returns to PBS on Sunday, Jan. 5.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2016 BET Experience Fan Fest-The Future of Neo-Soul and Rap (PHOTOS)
- 'Have and Have Nots' Tyler Lepley Talks Growth, Humility & More
- Shaq's Family Lands Reality Show - TV PD Blasts LeBron for Cussin'
- Woman who Loathed Gun Control, Shoots Two Daughters to Death
- Michael Jackson Called Prince 'One Of The Rudest People I Have Ever Met'
- Anthony Anderson Joins Queen Latifah-Produced Travel Series ‘The Best Place to Be’
- Al Qaeda to Lone Wolves in U.S.: Only Target Whites to Avoid ‘Hate Crime’ Label
- Baltimore Rapper Lor Scoota Fatally Shot Leaving ‘Peace in the Streets’ Charity Hoops Game
- Steve Harvey Speechless when Kellie Pickler Almost Falls Trying to Buzz In on ‘Family Feud’ (Watch)
- Suge Knight Sues Chris Brown over Miami Club Shooting
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here