This couldn’t have been a better place to salute the one and only, George Duke.
From Diane Reeves, Stevie Wonder, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Chaka Khan, Malcolm Jamal Warner, Laila Hathaway, Jeffrey Osbourne, Verdine White, rapper Dougie Fresh, Eric Benet, to Christian McBride, were just a few of the artists that represented a 360 degree musical spectrum to pay poignant tribute to him.
He was a trailblazer in what is now called jazz fusion, and collaborated with and produced many top recording artists including Harry Belefonte, Gladys Knight, Frank Zappa, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson (just to name a few). And should I forget, his associations with Al Jarreau, Miles Davis, and Julian “Cannonball” Adderly who he said “gave me the opportunity to meet and work with Nancy Wilson, Joe Williams, and Dizzy Gillespie- all these great artists I’d been listening to since I was a kid.”
As he continued his association with “Cannonball” he met bassist Stanley Clarke whom he would later collaborate with ( The Clarke /Duke Project).
There’s not enough words in anyone’s dictionary that could adequately describe this musical giant.
He left us a body of work that will no doubt continue to influence us. He touched so many people in his lifetime with his spirit and music that will always be with us.
May God’s Peace and Blessings be upon his soul.
Watch Diane Reeves’ salute to George Duke:
To watch MORE performances from the memorial service (at CentricTV.com), click HERE.
Southern California based Mohammed Mubarak, a portrait artist as well, can be contacted at [email protected] for your comments.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Eddie Murphy and Girlfriend Paige Butcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Boots Ex’s Daddy from his Home
- Michael Strahan Tells 'Extra' He's Not Listening to Rumors About Him
- Now That Beyonce is Done Eating from the White Man’s Hand, She’s Finally Ready to Be A Negro (How Convenient)
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- A Legendary Night in Los Angeles with the Ojays' Eddie Levert
- Prince’s Half-Brother Alfred Says Sibling Trying to Get Him Declared Mentally Incompetent
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here