*Vin Diesel has played the fictional antihero Richard B. Riddick in a total of four films now – including a 2004 animated version and the newest live action effort opening next month.
But there was a life-changing event that took place before production on “Riddick” (in theaters Sept. 6) that set the experience apart from the other three.
He and his longtime girlfriend had a son.
“We were initially going to make ‘Riddick’ before I did ‘Fast Five,’ and then I learned that we were expecting a child and I didn’t think it would be fair to the child,” Diesel said during interviews for the film. “I didn’t think it would be fair to the fans to go to that dark place while welcoming a life into the world. So ‘Riddick’ waited until after I did the more family centered ‘Fast Five.’
Diesel and his Mexican model squeeze Paloma Jimenez have two kids, both of whom were born after the first three films, “Pitch Black” (2000), “The Chronicles of Riddick” (2004) and the animated “The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury” (2004).
Their daughter, Hania Riley, was born in 2008, while their son was delivered during production on the fifth “Fast and Furious” installment in 2011.
Below, Diesel explains why “Fast Five” was the perfect movie to shoot while bringing a baby into the world – as odd as that sounds.
“Riddick” opens on Sept. 6. Watch the trailer below.
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sued for Wooing, Then, Deserting Boxer
- Nick Gordon Begs Permission to Attend Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral
- Bobbi Kristina’s Fam Feuding Over Planned Sweet 16-Themed Funeral?
- Wilson, Seahawks Agee to 4-Year, $87.5 Million Contract Extension
- Neechy Gospel: John P. Kee to Release New Project LEVEL NEXT
- Sophie Okonedo to Star in New BBC America Series ‘Undercover’
- Evan Ross, Ashlee Simpson Welcome Baby Girl
- Missy Elliott Reportedly Joins ‘The Voice’ Season 9 as a Mentor
- Dylann Roof Enters 33 ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas in Federal Court
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here