*Actor Jamie Foxx spoke during the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington on Wednesday where he encouraged fellow entertainers like Kanye West and Jay Z to become civil rights leaders in the mold of Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesse Jackson.
“Everybody my age, and all the entertainers, it’s time for us to stand up now and renew this dream,” Foxx told the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial. “That’s what we gotta do.”
Foxx revealed a dinner he and his daughter had recently with civil rights activist and actor/musician Harry Belafonte. He said the legendary actor and spoke about marching in protest of Jim Crow laws with leaders like King and Jackson.
“What we need to do now is the young folks pick it up now, so that when we’re 87 years old, talking to the young folks, we can say it was me, Will Smith, Jay Z, Kanye, Alicia Keys, Kerry Washington, the list goes on and on,” Foxx said.
The actor disregarded his prepared speech and simply spoke from the heart. Foxx admitted that recent event in the news moved him to speak out.
“I was affected by the Trayvon Martin situation, I was affected by Newtown, I was affected by Sandy Hook,” he said. “It’s time for us now to pick up.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Thousands in D.C. for 20th Anniversary of Million Man March
- Study Reveals White People Think Black People Are 'Superhuman'
- The Braxtons Announce Christmas Album
- Stevie Wonder to Pay Royalties to Dead Attorney's Widow Forever?!
- Sheree Whitfield Lands Reality Series About ATL Real Estate
- Quvenzhane Wallis' Book Deal, J-Hud Says Son 'Saved My Life'
- Patti LaBelle, Quentin Tarantino + More on 'The Big Interview'
- 18,500 Parents, Students, and Educators Rally to Demand End to 'Tale of Two School Systems' in New York City [PHOTOS]
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Universal Pictures’ Steve Jobs is a Brilliant Look into a Genius' Mind
- Raven Symone Hates Ethnic Names, Nicki Minaj Beef, Kardashian's Named 1st Family | BHL's This Week
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here