*Actor Jamie Foxx spoke during the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington on Wednesday where he encouraged fellow entertainers like Kanye West and Jay Z to become civil rights leaders in the mold of Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesse Jackson.
“Everybody my age, and all the entertainers, it’s time for us to stand up now and renew this dream,” Foxx told the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial. “That’s what we gotta do.”
Foxx revealed a dinner he and his daughter had recently with civil rights activist and actor/musician Harry Belafonte. He said the legendary actor and spoke about marching in protest of Jim Crow laws with leaders like King and Jackson.
“What we need to do now is the young folks pick it up now, so that when we’re 87 years old, talking to the young folks, we can say it was me, Will Smith, Jay Z, Kanye, Alicia Keys, Kerry Washington, the list goes on and on,” Foxx said.
The actor disregarded his prepared speech and simply spoke from the heart. Foxx admitted that recent event in the news moved him to speak out.
“I was affected by the Trayvon Martin situation, I was affected by Newtown, I was affected by Sandy Hook,” he said. “It’s time for us now to pick up.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- K. Michelle: Ex Lance Stephenson’s Rant Against Her Was From Hacker
- Derek Fisher Vacations with Matt Barnes Ex Gloria Govan After Knicks Boot
- Kanye West Claims Taylor Swift Gave ‘B*tch’ Lyric Her Blessing
- Nick Cannon and Stevie J Deny Acrimony During ‘Wild ‘N Out’ Taping
- $188 Million Powerball Winner, Marie Holmes, Allegedly Being Sued by Local Pastor
- Camille Cosby Must Give Deposition in Bill Cosby's Sexual Assault Case ... with Limits
- Lamar Odom's First Public Appearance is Kanye’s 'Yeezy Season 3' Show
- Va. Parents Mad As Heck Over White Guilt Video About 'Unequal Opportunity'
- TrOyMan: Back Again with New EP & Single
- 'RACE' Kicks Off NBA All Star Weekend 2016 with Red Carpet Screening (PHOTOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here