*Actor Jamie Foxx spoke during the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington on Wednesday where he encouraged fellow entertainers like Kanye West and Jay Z to become civil rights leaders in the mold of Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesse Jackson.
“Everybody my age, and all the entertainers, it’s time for us to stand up now and renew this dream,” Foxx told the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial. “That’s what we gotta do.”
Foxx revealed a dinner he and his daughter had recently with civil rights activist and actor/musician Harry Belafonte. He said the legendary actor and spoke about marching in protest of Jim Crow laws with leaders like King and Jackson.
“What we need to do now is the young folks pick it up now, so that when we’re 87 years old, talking to the young folks, we can say it was me, Will Smith, Jay Z, Kanye, Alicia Keys, Kerry Washington, the list goes on and on,” Foxx said.
The actor disregarded his prepared speech and simply spoke from the heart. Foxx admitted that recent event in the news moved him to speak out.
“I was affected by the Trayvon Martin situation, I was affected by Newtown, I was affected by Sandy Hook,” he said. “It’s time for us now to pick up.”
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here