*Actor Jamie Foxx spoke during the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington on Wednesday where he encouraged fellow entertainers like Kanye West and Jay Z to become civil rights leaders in the mold of Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesse Jackson.
“Everybody my age, and all the entertainers, it’s time for us to stand up now and renew this dream,” Foxx told the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial. “That’s what we gotta do.”
Foxx revealed a dinner he and his daughter had recently with civil rights activist and actor/musician Harry Belafonte. He said the legendary actor and spoke about marching in protest of Jim Crow laws with leaders like King and Jackson.
“What we need to do now is the young folks pick it up now, so that when we’re 87 years old, talking to the young folks, we can say it was me, Will Smith, Jay Z, Kanye, Alicia Keys, Kerry Washington, the list goes on and on,” Foxx said.
The actor disregarded his prepared speech and simply spoke from the heart. Foxx admitted that recent event in the news moved him to speak out.
“I was affected by the Trayvon Martin situation, I was affected by Newtown, I was affected by Sandy Hook,” he said. “It’s time for us now to pick up.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' with KMEL & Did He Call Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here