On the show, Jay was on a panel that included former Massachusetts congressman Barney Frank and Alexis Goldstein of Occupy Wall Street. Maher referenced the “Diamonds From Sierra Leone” remix for Jay’s introduction. “He’s not a businessman, he’s a business, man, and he also dabbles in a little bit of rap.”
A bit later, Maher laughed “I feel like Ed Sullivan when he brought the kids the Beatles,” before asking Jay “Do you remember Ed Sullivan?”
“No,” Jay joked.
During his time on “Real Time” Jay discussed politics and talked about budgetary cuts that have eliminated police presence in low-income neighborhoods. He quickly disagreed with Frank when he said that all communities wanted more police on their streets.
“More jobs would be better than police,” he said. “I don’t want to scare America, but the real problem is there’s no middle class; the gap between the have’s and the have not’s is getting wider and wider. It’s going to be a problem that no amount of police can solve.”
Jay was also asked by Maher about his recent beef with singer and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte.
“If it was a real problem, I’m not very difficult to find, especially for a man of that stature. he could reach out to me and we could have a conversation and do some good together,” Jay said. “I just thought it was a bit grandstanding … and i didn’t appreciate that. Especially dragging my wife into it, it was a bit of a low blow.”
When Maher informed Jay that, in seven years, he’d be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and asked who he’d like to induct him.
“Obama,” he laughed. “He owes me a couple.”
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- NAACP President Compares Bree Newsome to Rosa Parks
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here