On the show, Jay was on a panel that included former Massachusetts congressman Barney Frank and Alexis Goldstein of Occupy Wall Street. Maher referenced the “Diamonds From Sierra Leone” remix for Jay’s introduction. “He’s not a businessman, he’s a business, man, and he also dabbles in a little bit of rap.”
A bit later, Maher laughed “I feel like Ed Sullivan when he brought the kids the Beatles,” before asking Jay “Do you remember Ed Sullivan?”
“No,” Jay joked.
During his time on “Real Time” Jay discussed politics and talked about budgetary cuts that have eliminated police presence in low-income neighborhoods. He quickly disagreed with Frank when he said that all communities wanted more police on their streets.
“More jobs would be better than police,” he said. “I don’t want to scare America, but the real problem is there’s no middle class; the gap between the have’s and the have not’s is getting wider and wider. It’s going to be a problem that no amount of police can solve.”
Jay was also asked by Maher about his recent beef with singer and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte.
“If it was a real problem, I’m not very difficult to find, especially for a man of that stature. he could reach out to me and we could have a conversation and do some good together,” Jay said. “I just thought it was a bit grandstanding … and i didn’t appreciate that. Especially dragging my wife into it, it was a bit of a low blow.”
When Maher informed Jay that, in seven years, he’d be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and asked who he’d like to induct him.
“Obama,” he laughed. “He owes me a couple.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- How I Helped 50,000 Blacks Think it Out, Not Shoot it Out
- THE (02-10-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here