*In a style truly his own, Rev. Jesse Jackson spoke his mind at a recent visit to Florida; where he went to support the Dream Defenders; the group that has been staging a sit-in since mid-July in protest of the state’s Stand Your Ground law.
Jackson called Florida an “Apartheid state,” and named it “the Selma of our time.”
Of course these references didn’t sit well with Florida Governor Rick Scott.
“Jesse Jackson owes every Floridian an apology for his reckless and divisive comments,” Scott said. “It is unfortunate that he would come to Florida to insult Floridians and divide our state at a time when we are striving for unity and healing. Floridians are a strong, resilient people. We are fortunate to live in a great state where all Floridians enjoy opportunities to get a great job and world-class education.”
The civil rights activist has requested that the state re-evaluate its gun laws; especially in light of the Trayvon Martin slaying by George Zimmerman, and the subsequent acquittal voted upon unanimously by the jury.
Though Gov. Scott stands by the controversial law and will not call a special session to address it, according to the Miami Herald, Jackson says:
“The Rainbow Push Coalition is mobilizing elected officials in support of these student movements, too many people in Florida are disenfranchised.”
Jackson spent the night on the floor of the Capitol in Tallahassee Tuesday night.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Behind the Scenes of Janet Jackson’s New Video for ‘Dammn Baby’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here