*In a style truly his own, Rev. Jesse Jackson spoke his mind at a recent visit to Florida; where he went to support the Dream Defenders; the group that has been staging a sit-in since mid-July in protest of the state’s Stand Your Ground law.
Jackson called Florida an “Apartheid state,” and named it “the Selma of our time.”
Of course these references didn’t sit well with Florida Governor Rick Scott.
“Jesse Jackson owes every Floridian an apology for his reckless and divisive comments,” Scott said. “It is unfortunate that he would come to Florida to insult Floridians and divide our state at a time when we are striving for unity and healing. Floridians are a strong, resilient people. We are fortunate to live in a great state where all Floridians enjoy opportunities to get a great job and world-class education.”
The civil rights activist has requested that the state re-evaluate its gun laws; especially in light of the Trayvon Martin slaying by George Zimmerman, and the subsequent acquittal voted upon unanimously by the jury.
Though Gov. Scott stands by the controversial law and will not call a special session to address it, according to the Miami Herald, Jackson says:
“The Rainbow Push Coalition is mobilizing elected officials in support of these student movements, too many people in Florida are disenfranchised.”
Jackson spent the night on the floor of the Capitol in Tallahassee Tuesday night.
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here