*The grand prize drops from $5 million to $1 million this season on “The X Factor,” a sum Simon Cowell says is a more “reasonable” figure.
“We got to a point where I think the idea was to raise attention, but it almost – this is going to sound crazy coming from me – it was almost too much,” he told TV critics earlier this month. “You know, we want artists who really want to be artists. The prize will be a million dollars, which is still a lot of money. They still get a recording contract with Sony. They become a number one priority. And we think that’s a more reasonable figure now. But, like I said, I don’t very often offer out $1 million recording contracts.”
Kelly Rowland – a new judge this season with singer Paulina Rubio and returning judges Cowell and Demi Lovato – says $5 million isn’t really all that much when you consider the amount of expenses needed to launch an artist from scratch.
“If you start doing the addition in your head as an executive and you think about how much it costs to put together an album, you think about how much the producers cost, you think about studio costs, you think about touring. You think about how much publicity costs, marketing costs, and you are thinking as an executive, it’s about $5 million to actually break them to where you feel like they will actually be successful. So between what, 3 and $5 million, you can break an act and feel like you get radio air play, video play. Honey, it costs to play.”
“The X Factor” returns for its third season on Sept. 11. Below, Rowland tells EURweb about the competition that already exists on the judging panel.
- Louisiana Man: 'I've Never Had a Racist Bone in My Body' ... But Don't Tempt Me! (Watch)
- Derrick Rose Responds to Drugging/Rape Claims From Ex-Girlfriend
- Russell Westbrook's Weekend Plans Include Wedding to Girlfriend
- Flanagan’s Family Releases Statement in Aftermath of Virginia Shooting (WATCH)
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Karen Clark Sheard is ‘Destined to Win’; New Album Debuts at #2
- A Hate Crime is a Hate Crime No Matter the Color of the Perpetrator
- EUR Tech Review: Samsung 2015: The Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Plus (VIDEO)
- The Truth About Coffee and the Diabetes Risk
- THE (08-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Usain Bolt Mowed Down by Segway (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here