*The grand prize drops from $5 million to $1 million this season on “The X Factor,” a sum Simon Cowell says is a more “reasonable” figure.
“We got to a point where I think the idea was to raise attention, but it almost – this is going to sound crazy coming from me – it was almost too much,” he told TV critics earlier this month. “You know, we want artists who really want to be artists. The prize will be a million dollars, which is still a lot of money. They still get a recording contract with Sony. They become a number one priority. And we think that’s a more reasonable figure now. But, like I said, I don’t very often offer out $1 million recording contracts.”
Kelly Rowland – a new judge this season with singer Paulina Rubio and returning judges Cowell and Demi Lovato – says $5 million isn’t really all that much when you consider the amount of expenses needed to launch an artist from scratch.
“If you start doing the addition in your head as an executive and you think about how much it costs to put together an album, you think about how much the producers cost, you think about studio costs, you think about touring. You think about how much publicity costs, marketing costs, and you are thinking as an executive, it’s about $5 million to actually break them to where you feel like they will actually be successful. So between what, 3 and $5 million, you can break an act and feel like you get radio air play, video play. Honey, it costs to play.”
“The X Factor” returns for its third season on Sept. 11. Below, Rowland tells EURweb about the competition that already exists on the judging panel.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'We Are Charleston' Commemorates 1st-year Anniversary of 'The Emanuel Nine'
- Oprah Winfrey Set for First-ever Appearance at 2016 Essence Festival
- Steven Ivory: Farewell to P-Funk’s Bernie Worrell
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams, Madison Keys Advance to 3rd Round; Sloane Stephens Reaches Rain-Delayed 2nd
- Chris Brown Snatches Phone Away From Woman Recording Him (Watch)
- Malia Obama to Intern This Summer at U.S. Embassy in Spain
- Usher’s ‘Don’t Trump America’ Shirt from BET Awards Now On Sale
- Lil Wayne’s Prison Memoir ‘Gone Til November’ Finally Due in October
- Dollywood's 'World's Fastest Wooden Coaster' is Slowed due to Recall
- Be Someone Partners W/ Police for Brains Before Bullets
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here