*The grand prize drops from $5 million to $1 million this season on “The X Factor,” a sum Simon Cowell says is a more “reasonable” figure.
“We got to a point where I think the idea was to raise attention, but it almost – this is going to sound crazy coming from me – it was almost too much,” he told TV critics earlier this month. “You know, we want artists who really want to be artists. The prize will be a million dollars, which is still a lot of money. They still get a recording contract with Sony. They become a number one priority. And we think that’s a more reasonable figure now. But, like I said, I don’t very often offer out $1 million recording contracts.”
Kelly Rowland – a new judge this season with singer Paulina Rubio and returning judges Cowell and Demi Lovato – says $5 million isn’t really all that much when you consider the amount of expenses needed to launch an artist from scratch.
“If you start doing the addition in your head as an executive and you think about how much it costs to put together an album, you think about how much the producers cost, you think about studio costs, you think about touring. You think about how much publicity costs, marketing costs, and you are thinking as an executive, it’s about $5 million to actually break them to where you feel like they will actually be successful. So between what, 3 and $5 million, you can break an act and feel like you get radio air play, video play. Honey, it costs to play.”
“The X Factor” returns for its third season on Sept. 11. Below, Rowland tells EURweb about the competition that already exists on the judging panel.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here