*Laila Ali is a fighter.
She’s also a mother, advocate and conscious observer of our community.
As a result, when her recent comments about baby names sparked controversy, her response was a mixture of the roles she plays daily.
During a phone call with V103 (Atlanta) radio personality Egypt, Laila was apologetic to those she may have offended, but stood on the principle for why she made her comments.
“As a parent, knowing how cruel the world is and the bullying, and you know, kids have to grow up and get a job one day; I did say that I think some of these name choices are stupid,” she told Egypt.
Specifically, the comments spread around the internet in reference to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s choice to name their newborn North West. Ali added:
“I do realize that it was a poor choice of words, you know, and it wasn’t to single out Kim or Kanye. I actually mentioned a bunch of names, not just the name North. It was a general opinion to a question that I was asked, but it doesn’t matter. I do realize and I take responsibility for it.”
Laila Ali’s public response to the question exposed a private conversation held within our community, in which many debate of the unique and distinctive names many name their children will hinder them down the road. She discussed that and more in the full call with Egypt; visit Egypt Said So for the complete conversation and chime in with your opinion.
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Bokeem Woodbine Looking Like Shaft in ‘Fargo’ Season 2
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here