*Laila Ali is a fighter.
She’s also a mother, advocate and conscious observer of our community.
As a result, when her recent comments about baby names sparked controversy, her response was a mixture of the roles she plays daily.
During a phone call with V103 (Atlanta) radio personality Egypt, Laila was apologetic to those she may have offended, but stood on the principle for why she made her comments.
“As a parent, knowing how cruel the world is and the bullying, and you know, kids have to grow up and get a job one day; I did say that I think some of these name choices are stupid,” she told Egypt.
Specifically, the comments spread around the internet in reference to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s choice to name their newborn North West. Ali added:
“I do realize that it was a poor choice of words, you know, and it wasn’t to single out Kim or Kanye. I actually mentioned a bunch of names, not just the name North. It was a general opinion to a question that I was asked, but it doesn’t matter. I do realize and I take responsibility for it.”
Laila Ali’s public response to the question exposed a private conversation held within our community, in which many debate of the unique and distinctive names many name their children will hinder them down the road. She discussed that and more in the full call with Egypt; visit Egypt Said So for the complete conversation and chime in with your opinion.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Obama’s Favorites: Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae Set for July 4 Event at White House
- Cops Help Toss Chris Brown From Ibiza Rental Trashed With Urine and Vomit
- Alice Walker Writes Poem Inspired by Jesse Williams’ BET Awards Speech
- WATCH: Celebs Talk Summer Anthems at the 2016 BET Awards
- Opinion: Kanye West Not Worth a Billion dollars from Adidas Deal (WATCH)
- Future Talks Album Flop, Ciara's Lawsuit & Russell Wilson
- Woman’s Viral National Anthem Leads to National TV Singing Debut on ‘GMA’ (Watch)
- Mike Tirico Says Goodbye to ESPN after 25 Years (Watch Full Remarks)
- Vic Mensa Suggests Justin Timberlake ‘Support Black People When It’s More Difficult’ (Watch)
- Apple in Talks to Acquire Jay Z’s Streaming Service Tidal
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here