*Laila Ali is a fighter.
She’s also a mother, advocate and conscious observer of our community.
As a result, when her recent comments about baby names sparked controversy, her response was a mixture of the roles she plays daily.
During a phone call with V103 (Atlanta) radio personality Egypt, Laila was apologetic to those she may have offended, but stood on the principle for why she made her comments.
“As a parent, knowing how cruel the world is and the bullying, and you know, kids have to grow up and get a job one day; I did say that I think some of these name choices are stupid,” she told Egypt.
Specifically, the comments spread around the internet in reference to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s choice to name their newborn North West. Ali added:
“I do realize that it was a poor choice of words, you know, and it wasn’t to single out Kim or Kanye. I actually mentioned a bunch of names, not just the name North. It was a general opinion to a question that I was asked, but it doesn’t matter. I do realize and I take responsibility for it.”
Laila Ali’s public response to the question exposed a private conversation held within our community, in which many debate of the unique and distinctive names many name their children will hinder them down the road. She discussed that and more in the full call with Egypt; visit Egypt Said So for the complete conversation and chime in with your opinion.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna and Rob K Stand to Make $1 Million for Bay Pics
- Beyoncé Earns Big for Tidal, Superjam 2016 Lineup Announced
- Monica Updates Fans On Marriage Status, Praises Husband
- Endangered Gorilla Killed After 4-Yr-Old Boy Enters Habitat (WATCH Dramatic Video)
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- Cute as Heck: 10-Year Old Gets to 'Play Bass' With Paul McCartney (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here