E.J. came out of the closet this year after a photograph of him and his reported boyfriend surfaced. Since his unveiling, he’s been doing interviews and taking to social media sharing plans of being a voice for gay youth on a reality TV show.
“Magic and (his wife) Cookie say they’re very proud of EJ, but they’re also realistic,” a family friend told The National Enquirer.
“They know there are folks out there who still hate gay people, and it would break their hearts to hear their son got attacked or even injured just for being himself,” said the family friend.
E.J. actually came out to his parents when he was only 13. Now as a 21-year-old openly gay man, he claims he’s getting nasty emails containing threats.
This has Magic and his wife worried for their son’s safety.
“Magic knows firsthand how horrible the public can be,” said the family friend.
“After revealing that he was HIV-positive in 1991, he was ridiculed by the public, and some NBA players protested when he played before his final retirement.
“To this day, he still gets derogatory comments about his sexuality.
“Magic and Cookie want to protect EJ so he doesn’t experience the same hurtful things they did. They’re hoping he takes their advice to continue to live his life to the fullest – just not on TV.”
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sued for Wooing, Then, Deserting Boxer
- Nick Gordon Begs Permission to Attend Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral
- Bobbi Kristina’s Fam Feuding Over Planned Sweet 16-Themed Funeral?
- Wilson, Seahawks Agee to 4-Year, $87.5 Million Contract Extension
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here