E.J. came out of the closet this year after a photograph of him and his reported boyfriend surfaced. Since his unveiling, he’s been doing interviews and taking to social media sharing plans of being a voice for gay youth on a reality TV show.
“Magic and (his wife) Cookie say they’re very proud of EJ, but they’re also realistic,” a family friend told The National Enquirer.
“They know there are folks out there who still hate gay people, and it would break their hearts to hear their son got attacked or even injured just for being himself,” said the family friend.
E.J. actually came out to his parents when he was only 13. Now as a 21-year-old openly gay man, he claims he’s getting nasty emails containing threats.
This has Magic and his wife worried for their son’s safety.
“Magic knows firsthand how horrible the public can be,” said the family friend.
“After revealing that he was HIV-positive in 1991, he was ridiculed by the public, and some NBA players protested when he played before his final retirement.
“To this day, he still gets derogatory comments about his sexuality.
“Magic and Cookie want to protect EJ so he doesn’t experience the same hurtful things they did. They’re hoping he takes their advice to continue to live his life to the fullest – just not on TV.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Karrine Steffans: ‘I Was One of Jay Z’s Beckys Back in 2000’
- Drake and Nicki Minaj No Longer Talk, but He Has ‘Genuine Energy’ With Rihanna
- Jonathan Butler's Inspired Journey Pt2: 'I Am That I Am' (WATCH)
- Parenting Blog ‘Mom Junction’ Lists ’85 Popular Ghetto Baby Names’ For Your Child
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here