*Mandisa’s fourth studio album (and fifth overall, including her Christmas set) won’t be released until Aug. 27, but anticipation for this pop-oriented Christian album is building, thanks to the success of the first single, reports Billboard.
“Overcomer,” the upbeat title track, is No. 1 on the Christian Digital Songs chart for the third week and was inspired by the health journey of “Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts.
“When I was on ‘Good Morning America,’ I gave a copy of my [“What If We Were Real”] CD to Robin Roberts, knowing she was going to be out for her bone marrow transplant.” That CD included the No. 1 song “Stronger,” which Mandisa thought was perfect for Roberts, who, while lacking physical strength, did exude a spiritual power.
“You’re not an ‘Overcomer’ if you don’t face anything difficult,” Mandisa says of Roberts’ illness and triumphant return to GMA. “You are an overcomer if you face your battles and come out on top, just as I have, walking through the battles in my own life.”
In addition to its sales success, “Overcomer” is also doing well on Billboard’s airplay charts. The song is in the top 10 of the Christian Songs tally, holding at No. 8. On the Christian Adult Contemporary survey, “Overcomer” moves up 13-12.
In other “American Idol” alumni news, Jordin Sparks’ first hit as a songwriter, “The Way” by Ariana Grande featuring Mac Miller, is on its way down the Hot 100 after spending time in the top 10. The song slides 14-17 this week, which places it exactly one rung above the current single by Sparks’ boyfriend, Jason DeRulo. He holds at No. 18 (with a bullet) with “The Other Side.”
While this brings the couple closer together on the Hot 100, they may be ever closer on this chart in the next few weeks. That’s because Sparks has recorded a duet with DeRulo, “Before It Breaks.” It won’t be the first single from her forthcoming album – Sparks has already announced that the initial single will be “Skipping a Beat.”
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Perspective on Harris Co. Deputy's Death by Project 21 Member Who Served with Him
- RHOA Fight: Cynthia Bailey Kicked Porsha Williams in the Stomach (Report)
- James Bond Author Now ‘Sorry’ for Calling Idris Elba ‘Too Street’
- Janet Jackson Drops Missy Elliott Collabo at ‘Unbreakable’ Tour Launch (Clips)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here