*When we saw John Singleton’s “Rosewood,” for a lot of us, it was the first time the nation was privy to the information that there were free African Americans at the turn of the century, who had an organized, wealthy community that flourished.
Now Baltimore, Maryland’s Morgan State University in association with University of Maryland College Park are researching an area of the Eastern Shore that is historically rich with African-American history, in an effort to find a society the researchers believe pre-dates New Orleans’ Treme neighborhood, which is presently recorded as the oldest free African American community, according to Madame Noire.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here