*In an interview with Larry King that will air Tuesday afternoon on his Hulu program “Larry King Now,” Oprah Winfrey recounted moments when she experienced racism in her life.
“It only happens so often where I am directly confronted [with racism],” Oprah said. “Where it’s so obviously ‘in your face.'”
The cable network CEO said that during the late 1990s, she and her hairdresser Andre Walker were in New York City on Madison Ave. She saw a sweater in a window and tried to enter the store, but the shopkeepers inside would not open the door and allow them to enter.
Even after Oprah called the store to make sure that it was open and witnessed two white women enter, the shopkeepers would not open the door and let them in.
“Suddenly it dawns on the both of us. ‘Oh my god, I think we’re having a racist moment.'” Oprah said. She called the store when she was back in Chicago and was told by the person on the phone that the shop had been robbed by two black people the week before “and they were afraid to open the door.”
“The fact that they even admitted that was so striking,” Oprah said. She then told another story about shopping in Zurich just last week where she experienced another racist moment.
Watch the clip below.
Oprah has been on a media tour promoting “Lee Daniels’ The Butler.” She appeared on “CBS This Morning” on Monday and “Good Morning America” on Tuesday.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here