*In an interview with Larry King that will air Tuesday afternoon on his Hulu program “Larry King Now,” Oprah Winfrey recounted moments when she experienced racism in her life.
“It only happens so often where I am directly confronted [with racism],” Oprah said. “Where it’s so obviously ‘in your face.'”
The cable network CEO said that during the late 1990s, she and her hairdresser Andre Walker were in New York City on Madison Ave. She saw a sweater in a window and tried to enter the store, but the shopkeepers inside would not open the door and allow them to enter.
Even after Oprah called the store to make sure that it was open and witnessed two white women enter, the shopkeepers would not open the door and let them in.
“Suddenly it dawns on the both of us. ‘Oh my god, I think we’re having a racist moment.'” Oprah said. She called the store when she was back in Chicago and was told by the person on the phone that the shop had been robbed by two black people the week before “and they were afraid to open the door.”
“The fact that they even admitted that was so striking,” Oprah said. She then told another story about shopping in Zurich just last week where she experienced another racist moment.
Watch the clip below.
Oprah has been on a media tour promoting “Lee Daniels’ The Butler.” She appeared on “CBS This Morning” on Monday and “Good Morning America” on Tuesday.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Vic Mensa Suggests Justin Timberlake ‘Support Black People When It’s More Difficult’ (Watch)
- Apple in Talks to Acquire Jay Z’s Streaming Service Tidal
- Ludacris Surprises Wife Eudoxie With New $160,000 Benz (Watch)
- Free Hamburgers to Anyone Who Changes Their Last Name to 'Burger'
- Kyrie Irving Calls ‘No Black Girls Allowed’ Yacht Party Backlash ‘Ridiculous’
- Demolition of Aretha Franklin’s Birth Home Postponed
- Overcoming Dating Burnout: How to Thrive in the Deprived Dating Scene
- Daddy & Daughter Release Book for Brooklyn, NYC Tourists
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here