*In an interview with Larry King that will air Tuesday afternoon on his Hulu program “Larry King Now,” Oprah Winfrey recounted moments when she experienced racism in her life.
“It only happens so often where I am directly confronted [with racism],” Oprah said. “Where it’s so obviously ‘in your face.'”
The cable network CEO said that during the late 1990s, she and her hairdresser Andre Walker were in New York City on Madison Ave. She saw a sweater in a window and tried to enter the store, but the shopkeepers inside would not open the door and allow them to enter.
Even after Oprah called the store to make sure that it was open and witnessed two white women enter, the shopkeepers would not open the door and let them in.
“Suddenly it dawns on the both of us. ‘Oh my god, I think we’re having a racist moment.'” Oprah said. She called the store when she was back in Chicago and was told by the person on the phone that the shop had been robbed by two black people the week before “and they were afraid to open the door.”
“The fact that they even admitted that was so striking,” Oprah said. She then told another story about shopping in Zurich just last week where she experienced another racist moment.
Watch the clip below.
Oprah has been on a media tour promoting “Lee Daniels’ The Butler.” She appeared on “CBS This Morning” on Monday and “Good Morning America” on Tuesday.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here