*In the process of promoting their new film, “The Butler,” Oprah Winfrey, co-star Forest Whitaker and director Lee Daniels discussed race and of course the n-word.
Oprah made it clear that she’s not down with using the word at all. And if you use it (around her), you can’t be down with her.
Hmm, that means Paula Deen can’t be her friend. Neither can Rae Dawn Chong (who called Lady O the n-word recently), Philadelphia Eagles’ Riley Cooper, Jay Z, as well as 99 percent of all rappers and of course, millions of black folks.
“You cannot be my friend and use that word around me. It shows my age, but I feel strongly about it,” she tells Parade magazine. “… I always think of the millions of people who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree.”
How does Whitaker, 52, feel about it? He says, “I don’t use the word. Never did.”
On the other hand, Daniels, 53, came clean as far as his usage of it: “It’s a word I used quite a bit, until Oprah sat me down and talked to me about its power.”
Whitaker and Daniels also talked their encounters with racism in America.
“I’ve had any incidents in my life of racism,” says Whitaker. “I’ve been thrown on the ground. I’ve been frisked. I’ve been arrested so many times I couldn’t tell you. I have no need to talk about it.
Added Daniels: “It’s a given. I can’t even get a taxi [in New York]. I send my [white] assistant out to get a taxi because I can’t.”
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Stripped of WBO Title Over Nonpayment of Fee
- Whoopi: Bill Cosby is ‘Still Innocent Until Proven Guilty’; Raven-Symone Needs More Proof
- Bill Cosby Accusers Feel Vindicated with Newly Released Confession
- ‘Married To Medicine’s’ Quad & Lisa Nicole Cloud Cat Fightin' (WATCH)
- Neighbors Watch in Horror as Two Girls Jump from Burning Building
- Watch FSU QB De’Andre Johnson PUNCH Woman in Face; Gets Released
- EUR Speaks with Kem, Lalah Hathaway & Dee-1 At 2015 Essence Festival (WATCH)
- Beyoncé Video Inspires Curvy 68 Story Australian Skyscraper
- Turner's Two Cents: Obama Did Not Call Immigrants Gangbangers
- $2 Million Lawsuit Filed Against Former NBA Player Tyrone Hill
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here