*In the process of promoting their new film, “The Butler,” Oprah Winfrey, co-star Forest Whitaker and director Lee Daniels discussed race and of course the n-word.
Oprah made it clear that she’s not down with using the word at all. And if you use it (around her), you can’t be down with her.
Hmm, that means Paula Deen can’t be her friend. Neither can Rae Dawn Chong (who called Lady O the n-word recently), Philadelphia Eagles’ Riley Cooper, Jay Z, as well as 99 percent of all rappers and of course, millions of black folks.
“You cannot be my friend and use that word around me. It shows my age, but I feel strongly about it,” she tells Parade magazine. “… I always think of the millions of people who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree.”
How does Whitaker, 52, feel about it? He says, “I don’t use the word. Never did.”
On the other hand, Daniels, 53, came clean as far as his usage of it: “It’s a word I used quite a bit, until Oprah sat me down and talked to me about its power.”
Whitaker and Daniels also talked their encounters with racism in America.
“I’ve had any incidents in my life of racism,” says Whitaker. “I’ve been thrown on the ground. I’ve been frisked. I’ve been arrested so many times I couldn’t tell you. I have no need to talk about it.
Added Daniels: “It’s a given. I can’t even get a taxi [in New York]. I send my [white] assistant out to get a taxi because I can’t.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here